Back to the kit after 43 years....

Hi all and thanks for the welcome. At 65 I've been selling off a lot of war board games, miniatures and books to clean up my hobby mess and recently found a Model Shipways kit of the Benjamin Latham my then girlfriend (now wife) bought me in 1977. I had started it back then and had progressed to deck furniture and attaching the rudder. Busted the rudder putting the hinges on and in frustration put it on the shelf. Back with a vengeance now and gathering my model tools and starting back up building a proper cradle. Hope to find some inspiration and help when needed here. Been building all sorts of models (mostly plastics) over the years but never something like this.

Hi Lonnie and welcome. I have a similar story in that I bought the Bluenose (for myself) back around 1991 or so. I got started and planked the hull, then came all those scuppers. I got burned out of making all those 3/32 square scuppers. And also could not figure out how to make the so-called fashion piece on the transom. Knowing "0" about ships, terms, and ship modeling, I gave it up as there was no other info on it or build logs. Ha, that Schooner to this day is still in my storage right where I left it - I know - it is a shame and I should finish it. That was back when I was single and wild I guess and not settled down.
So, to some degree, I can relate. I am not familiar with the building of the B. Latham, but I can almost promise you that if you start a Build Log that many here will chime in and help. I included (if and when I can find the time).
You can also go to this link in my Model Showcase as a gentleman has built this model and maybe you can use this for a reference:

Donald

Also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum.
Take also a look at the building logs of kit models - here you can see the different works , methods etc. of the different kits.

Welcome aboard Lonnie; 1977 is a long time ago but happy to see you on the forum and your progress on the boat friend.

Thanks folks, setting up my work space and gathering tools and inventorying my wood at this time, hope to get down to business shortly.

Hi all and thanks for the welcome. At 65 I've been selling off a lot of war board games, miniatures and books to clean up my hobby mess and recently found a Model Shipways kit of the Benjamin Latham my then girlfriend (now wife) bought me in 1977. I had started it back then and had progressed to deck furniture and attaching the rudder. Busted the rudder putting the hinges on and in frustration put it on the shelf. Back with a vengeance now and gathering my model tools and starting back up building a proper cradle. Hope to find some inspiration and help when needed here. Been building all sorts of models (mostly plastics) over the years but never something like this.
Hallo @Lonnie ,
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Hello Lonnie,
Nice to here you starting up again the building. Just like Donald, I also started up a early build. I started my Robert E. Lee in 1987. After years of collecting dust, this year I took it up. And showing here in a build-log gives many reaction and gives you a positive input to go on.
And: Happy Birthday.
Regards, Peter

Hallo @Lonnie
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back