backstays

I know the shrouds are rigged in pairs one side than the other!! but the Stays do they run in pairs from side to side? also, on my Le Soleil the main mast shrouds are not even in number there are 9 do you take the 9th shroud pair it side to side??

I know the shrouds are rigged in pairs one side than the other!! but the Stays do they run in pairs from side to side? also, on my Le Soleil the main mast shrouds are not even in number there are 9 do you take the 9th shroud pair it side to side??
I need to clarify myself the small dead eyes that are not part of the main ratlines do they run from side to side or do they run in pairs as the shrouds for the ratlines run?

The shrouds are setup to be in pairs, but each pair made of a single line. A rope is cut twice as long as a shroud is needed, a loop is seized in the middle and placed over the masthead, with both legs hanging down on the same side. This is then repeated for the opposite side of the ship. There is a progression that is followed; 1st pair forward on the starboard side, then the first pair forward on the port side, then 2nd pair aft on the starboard side, etc. This is repeated until all pairs are installed on both sides. If there is an odd number of shrouds required on each side, the odd one is called a "swifter", The two swifters are seized together in the middle to form a loop, which is then placed over the masthead with one swifter hanging down on each side.

Backstays are generally set up as individual lines, that is they are separate lines seized at the mast, one port and the other starboard, then led down to the deck or channels, generally setup with tackles to tighten them.

I don't understand your second question about deadeyes.

I think he means those stays that use deadeyes either with jackstays on deck or on the channel without chains.

Ted: You clearly answered all my questions thanks for the help I didn't understand what to do with the odd shroud and the stays that attach to the deadeyes on chain plate

Well, after sixteen months of problem solving and cursing, my Artesania Latina 2021 version of Endeavour is finished, and looking magnificent. My one outstanding issue is the size of the kit supplied stern flag, which is far too large, in my opinion. I am searching the "flag shops" for a smaller version of the British Naval Ensign, which is red with Union Jack, which I wish to mount, drooping downwards due to lack of breeze. Any thoughts anybody?

Well, after sixteen months of problem solving and cursing, my Artesania Latina 2021 version of Endeavour is finished, and looking magnificent. My one outstanding issue is the size of the kit supplied stern flag, which is far too large, in my opinion. I am searching the "flag shops" for a smaller version of the British Naval Ensign, which is red with Union Jack, which I wish to mount, drooping downwards due to lack of breeze. Any thoughts anybody?
See if HiS has what you need: LINK

Ted: You clearly answered all my questions thanks for the help I didn't understand what to do with the odd shroud and the stays that attach to the deadeyes on chain plate
I took a picture of the small deadeyes connected to the chain plate on my foremast and mainmast shrouds I believe they are stays do I rig them as pairs as I do the ratlines and the odd one rig from side to side. I wouldn't bother you with this, but I have looked many places and have not found any article that explains what to do with the I guess jack stays?

IMG_20221127_164654 (1).jpg

IMG_20221127_164654 (1).jpg

IMG_20221127_164648.jpg

Hi Bandido,

In post #5 of this thread by Torbinson200 he has mentioned some stays I don't know if this answers your question.
My question concerns those small deadeyes that are attached to the chainplates on the main and foremast, I believe they are stays? my question is how to rig them are they rigged as the ratlines are rigged in pairs and do you attach the odd number deadeye as in the 9th from the deadeye to the mast and down to the other deadeye on the other side or is each one rigged singly, I have attached some pictures to help??

My question concerns those small deadeyes that are attached to the chainplates on the main and foremast, I believe they are stays? my question is how to rig them are they rigged as the ratlines are rigged in pairs and do you attach the odd number deadeye as in the 9th from the deadeye to the mast and down to the other deadeye on the other side or is each one rigged singly, I have attached some pictures to help??
Sorry I meant post #3 of this thread.

I don't fully understand the question about the dead eyes but I can tell you that each dead eye is rigged to each back stay so that each back stay can be adjusted individually. There needs to be two dead eyes on each back stay, the bottom one like you have and a top one a couple scale feet above the bottom one.. The top dead eye is tied to the back stay permenantly. Then a length of rope is attached to the bottom dead eye, run up through a hole in the top dead eye and back down to a hole in the bottom dead eye, then back up and back down until all six holes have the rope running through them. The rope should end up coming out at the top and then it can be pulled down by a sailor of weight to tighten or loosen that back stay as needed. The end of the rope is secured by tying it around itself under the last dead eye that it goes through. How's that for organized confusion? Back stays are tied to the masts individually so that if one breaks it's opposite back stay will still be working. Also it's easier to repair under way when only one line has to be reckoned with and not two. I have a book that explains a lot of this in general terms if I can find it but this is a normal way of rigging the back stays unless the Captain wants them rigged a different way. Right or wrong the Captain is always right. You have a beautiful ship model there bandido. I love the colors. Norgale

The dead eyes are not stays. The ropes coming down from the mast are called stays or in this case back stays. Stays are thick ropes and dead eyes are dead eyes. The stays that are used for rat lines for the sailors to climb are also backstays and are attached as described above. There are usually five or six of them depending on which mast.. Then come the back- stays and their numbers are determined by the height of the masts. Going from the ratlines aft to the next backstay you have the top mast backstay then the top gallant back stay, the royal back stay and then the skysail backstay if there is a skysail. Each one including the rat lines has it's own set of dead eyes. You should not have any back stays running directly in front of a cannon unless the cannon sticks out beyond the back stays.. Norgale

Last edited:
Back