Baltimore Clipper LYNX

I had the unexpected opportunity to get underway with Lynx today and cruise around Narragansett Bay. This gave me an opportunity to get a few more detail shots of the rigging and deck features. They actually have four working carronades on board, one of which we fired on Ft Adams with (sorry no pictures of the gun firing--needed both hands to plug my ears)

IMG_1712.JPG

IMG_1713.JPG

IMG_1714.JPG

IMG_1715.JPG

IMG_1716.JPG

IMG_1717.JPG

IMG_1718.JPG

IMG_1719.JPG

IMG_1720.JPG

IMG_1721.JPG

IMG_1722.JPG

IMG_1723.JPG

IMG_1724.JPG

IMG_1725.JPG

IMG_1726.JPG

IMG_1728.JPG

IMG_1729.JPG

IMG_1730.JPG

IMG_1731.JPG

IMG_1732.JPG

IMG_1733.JPG

IMG_1734.JPG

IMG_1735.JPG

Not sure how much value these are to anyone since there are no guarantees as to how true to the original any of the rigging actually is.

A lovely ship, she came into Newburyport a few years back. I think she is based on the well known Lynx of 1812, but is a bit smaller. Has anyone ever seen any lines or sail plan?

View attachment 316713
She is about 20’ shorter than the original because she was draught-limited by the water depth in Newport Beach CA where her sponsor was living when she was created. She was also designed to modern USCG safety standards and she has much more deck furniture to give more headroom below deck

Great photo set! I spent time looking at the details…rigging, sails, furniture…how everything came together. I will revisit this posting for more details…
I hope you find the photos useful, but anyone going for historical accuracy needs to bear in mind that there are many outwardly visible differences between the original Lynx privateer and this vessel. I also understand there was another schooner named Lynx that was launched a year or two after the privateer of that name. The second Lynx went directly into the service of the Navy, and I'm not sure how similar in design the two were, as one was built in Fells Point and the other in Baltimore.

Back