band saw blades

I just ordered a set of three 62 inch x 1/4 inch x14tpi, can any onetell me what size i would need for re-sawing material i found a 62 inch X 1/4 INCH X 6tpi, i know the 6tpi will work for resawing but not sure of the 1/4 inch all help appreciuated. GOD BLESS ALL STAY SAFE. Don

Don,
Choice of blade size is not always simple, but the usual rule of thumb is "the thinner the wood, the finer the blades teeth should be." It's not a universal rule that works for everything, but it usually is a good starting point. Teeth that are too fine will overheat and that is certainly to be avoided.
If you have any number of blades, make some test cuts with each blade in various kinds/thicknesses of wood and keep a chart for what does, or does not, work well. If your saw has variable speed setting, try each blade/wood combination at two or three different speeds as well.
The width of the blade (1/4" in your case) affects how easy (or difficult) it will be to make straight cuts, or curves. Narrower blades cut sharper curves than wider blades. Wider blades generally cut straight lines more easily than narrower blades. I have a couple articles that may help you, but they are too large to attach nere. I will email them too you.
Best of luck to you.
Steven

Steven, could you email your files to me as well?

I am not sure if the forums have a file area, might be a place to keep something for all to use in future.

Kurt

I do a lot of resawing, (for ship modelling and wood carving), in fact I purchased my bandsaw with that in mind. The blade I use is 3/4" Resaw King blade by Laguna, same manufacture as the saw. I cuts straight and smooth. I had been using a Delta bandsaw with a 1/4" blade with no success, thus the upgrade to the Laguna., and have never regretted my purchase. The wide blade is great and provides perfect results. There is also 1" blade available, and both sizes can be resharpened.

Bob

Hi Bob, I have a PERFORMAX 9 INCH TABLE BAND SAW HAS BEEN MEETING MY NEEDS SO FAR, it is 62 inch could i use the wider blade on it, the blade that I USE MOST IS a 1/4 inch X 14 tpi witch allows me to cut strips and even some scroll work now, but can not do any resawing of materials. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE

Back