Bandsaw blade options

For those of you that use a bandsaw to cut frames and such, what size blade have you found to be the most usable? 1/8”, 1/4” something else? I have a 14” bandsaw that I use for woodworking and resawing with 1/2” and 3/4” blades but would like to use it for modeling as well. I did do several searches for this topic but was unsuccessful in finding any info.
Thanks for you help and insight.

Hi Oliver,

I do have a Laguna 14/12 and use it mainly sawing billets etc.
For frame sawing I use a smaller proxxon band saw being more suitable for this delicate work.
If you want to use the Jet I would go for the smallest blade being the 1/8 to create fine curves.

Hi Oliver,

I do have a Laguna 14/12 and use it mainly sawing billets etc.
For frame sawing I use a smaller proxxon band saw being more suitable for this delicate work.
If you want to use the Jet I would go for the smallest blade being the 1/8 to create fine curves.
Maarten, thank you for your insight.

Mine is a 16" 3 wheel bandsaw. I somewhat underpowered to do the carpenter / cabinetmaker tasks I bought it for, but works well with a 1/2" coarse skip tooth blade for re-sawing up to about 6" wide and a 1/8" blade for cutting frames and bulkheads and such for modeling use. Much quicker than using my scroll saw for that task.
Be sure you adjust your blade guides correctly for the blade you're using. I use ball bearing guides and ceramic guides and thrust bearings.

IMG_2538.JPG

Thanks EJ.
i believe I will order both a 1/4” and an 1/8” from Timberwolf. I do have ceramic cool block guides and I’m looking at the Carter bearing guides but they are $$$!

I use a 1/8" fine tooth blade on a cheap, 9" two wheeled desktop bandsaw for modeling since it only has to cut wood less than 1", rip thin planks from veneers, and cut small parts. If I need to cut large timbers, I use the old 1940's 10" Delta 890 bandsaw with the 1/4" or 1/2" blade out in the shop. Whatever works for you is what you use.

You might also want to take a look at scroll saws. Very tight curves possible. Wide range of blades, etc.

You might also want to take a look at scroll saws. Very tight curves possible. Wide range of blades, etc.
Thanks Van. I do have a scroll saw and am currently using that to cut the frames. It’s slow and noisy so I’m exploring options.

This is my other little work horse that I have been using for over 23 years. Believe it or not, you still can find replacement parts for it.
I made that rolling stand so I could use it anywhere in the garage.
I’m almost finished with all the arrangements in the garage and soon it will be ready to start building my Imara.
I’m waiting for a picture window and a/c unit to finish it.
When all done I will post the pictures.
IMG_3161.jpegIMG_3162.jpeg

Back