Barque Stefano a MarisStella kit - by Don Robinson

No news yet, I have been busy with other builds lately. Stefano is on the list for next week, hopefully some updates then
Hallo Don @DonRobinson ,
We are curious to see the next working steps on your barque...... hope you have the chance for an update

Thanks Lawrence, I finally have an update for you and anyone else who is watching. It has been a busy summer and I finally got Stefano back on the bench this past week.

IMG_3576.jpg
My goal this week was to install pieces 40(side stringer), 41(top gallant bulwark), 42(top gallant rail) and 43(pin rails)

IMG_3559.jpg
First up was bending pieces 40 and 41 to shape. The side stringer(40) is made from 1.5 x 4 mm walnut strips and the top gallant bulwark is made from 1.5 x 5 mm walnut. The little indents you see on the strip are from the iron and are easily sanded out.

IMG_3560.jpg
Clamping the side stringer into place, pva glue was used

IMG_3563.jpg
Side stringers installed and sanded. Note here is that there should have been a slight overhang, but for some reason I sanded flush

IMG_3565.jpg

IMG_3566.jpgIMG_3568.jpg
Here the top gallant has been installed and both pieces given several coats of thinned acrylic paint.

IMG_3571.jpg

IMG_3572.jpg
It should be noted the top gallant bulwark was painted before being installed

IMG_3574.jpg
Masking off the top gallant bulwark and painting the rail

IMG_3629.jpgIMG_3631.jpg
Job completed and masking tape removed
IMG_3651.jpgIMG_3652.jpg
Here is how it looks as of this morning. I failed in my goal by not getting the pin rails in, they are up next.
Thanks for stopping by and Take Care.

Don

Attachments

• IMG_3573.jpg
    IMG_3573.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 3
Thanks Lawrence, I finally have an update for you and anyone else who is watching. It has been a busy summer and I finally got Stefano back on the bench this past week.

View attachment 50676
My goal this week was to install pieces 40(side stringer), 41(top gallant bulwark), 42(top gallant rail) and 43(pin rails)

View attachment 50677
First up was bending pieces 40 and 41 to shape. The side stringer(40) is made from 1.5 x 4 mm walnut strips and the top gallant bulwark is made from 1.5 x 5 mm walnut. The little indents you see on the strip are from the iron and are easily sanded out.

View attachment 50678
Clamping the side stringer into place, pva glue was used

View attachment 50679
Side stringers installed and sanded. Note here is that there should have been a slight overhang, but for some reason I sanded flush

View attachment 50680

View attachment 50681View attachment 50682
Here the top gallant has been installed and both pieces given several coats of thinned acrylic paint.

View attachment 50683

View attachment 50684
It should be noted the top gallant bulwark was painted before being installed

View attachment 50686
Masking off the top gallant bulwark and painting the rail

View attachment 50687View attachment 50688
Job completed and masking tape removed
View attachment 50689View attachment 50690
Here is how it looks as of this morning. I failed in my goal by not getting the pin rails in, they are up next.
Thanks for stopping by and Take Care.

Don
Hallo Don,
Great that you restarted the work on the Stefano....she is looking great.....

Last edited:
Thanks to all for stopping in and for your likes and comments. I have a little progress to report, I was hoping to have more completed by now but I thought it was time for an update so here we go;
IMG_3562.jpg
First up was drilling out the holes on the pin rails. They were already pre-drilled but were just a little too snug for my liking, so I thought drilling off the model would be easier and safer. I am using the Sherline mill will the sensitive drilling attachment for this task.

IMG_3669.jpg
The pin rails installed, I took the easy way out and used ca glue. Very hard to do any clamping here.

IMG_3682.jpg
Beginning to strop the deadeyes, the lines will be trimmed later. When doing rigging like this I always put a towel on the bench so things don't bounce when dropped. The floor never got any deadeyes this time!!!:p

IMG_3691.jpg
Measuring and drilling hole for the deadeyes. All measurements are taken directly from the plans

IMG_3692.jpg
Cutting the chain plates from the photo etch sheet

IMG_3704.jpg
I was going to blacken them but in the end I painted as I did not trust my blackening skills and did not want to ruin them. I did wash them in Lacquer thinner followed by a wash in muriatic acid then rinsed in water and repeated this process once more. After drying they were primed with metal primer then painted with matte acrylic paint. The primer was from a spray can which I sprayed a little into a container then brushed on, the acrylic paint was also brushed on.
The finish is quite durable and as there are no sharp bends in the chain plates I don't see any problems with the paint cracking or falling off.

IMG_3705.jpg
Using the method described above using muriatic acid and lacquer thinner, I tried blackening some eyebolts and they seemed to work out well. At least it is the best results I have ever had with blackening, next is to get the courage to try it on photo etch!!!:eek::)

IMG_3681.jpg
I need to make a hole at the stern for the rudder so thought it would be a good time to make the rudder

IMG_3709.jpg
And the finished rudder, still needs to have some char removed in the grooves

IMG_3710.jpg

Pin rails and deadeyes installed, at the stern is the rudder opening

IMG_3715.jpg
I should have turned the model around for this picture to give a better aspect of the deadeyes arrangements. In the picture I am showing the fore mast and main mast while the plans are showing the mizzen and main mast.
Thanks again for dropping in and I hope you enjoyed

Hello Don
First of all, I and the little guys wish you a Very Happy an Belated Birthday. I tend to get so tied up in my own little Old Ship Yard that I fail to look around the great SOS Form build logs, yours included. I do hope that you had a great day and that you did get the biggest piece of cake, Also that you did get all of the new toys that you had hoped for and just maybe a few more.
Nice to see that you are back building again in your Old Ship Yard, That Barque Stefano kit sure does have a lot of very fine details that I am very impressed with. Just maybe I should look into achieving one of these kits they sure would be a very enjoyable and relaxing build, ENJOY.

Regards Lawrence

Getting close to the present day.
I wanted to show this part and explain a little. I'm not sure if any of you have watched Donnie's video on how to make stanchions, I did and I found it to be extremely good in helping to make these almost perfect stanchions. Thanks Donnie for the help!!

View attachment 38592View attachment 38593View attachment 38594View attachment 38595View attachment 38596View attachment 38597View attachment 38598

Don, do you have a link?

Back