Batavia VOC 1:72 Kolderstok by RobertD

Progress so far , touched up the paintwork here and there , also some decorations and received the gun port hinges today so that will keep me busy for a while , always room for improvement , the rudder came up nicely I think , swivels well , instead of yellow I gold painted the ornaments , and actually not disapproved by Witsen , the guns in black as standard for a Merchant Man , plenty of detail on this model too

IMG_2385.jpeg

IMG_2393.jpeg

IMG_2392.jpeg

IMG_2391.jpeg

IMG_2389.jpeg

IMG_2386.jpeg

Wow Robert, what a great sight to see this Dutch VoC ship taking shape under your hands. Love the paintwork as well. Great colorscheme.
When fully rigged, this wil steal the show in any livingroom, office or meetingroom!

Peter
Oh yes - that is for sure.

Great work Robert. I don't blame you keeping the gunport lids nice and simple. Change one, and you then have to change (n x portlids). And as you say, probably not worth it at that scale. Looking very good so far :)

Great work Robert. I don't blame you keeping the gunport lids nice and simple. Change one, and you then have to change (n x portlids). And as you say, probably not worth it at that scale. Looking very good so far :)
Thanks Mark , of course I like the model as authentic as possible , but there are limits and room for improvement and that’s what I like about this hobby of ours ! I like to show my progress here not how to, that’s up to each individual apart from suggestions and to be honest I am not offended by any means if a different approach in my direction , it would open my blinded eyes LOL

Gun ports finished , working on the channels, chain plates for the deadeyes including the plates for the tackles fixed on the wales , I have decided not to attach any wires or pulling ropes on the gun port coverings just to keep it simple and not overcrowded ,keeping in mind the scale

View attachment 393036

View attachment 393037

View attachment 393038

View attachment 393039

View attachment 393040

View attachment 393041

View attachment 393042
Good morning Robert. Woop woop ExplosionLovely. Cheers Grant

Bowsprit completed , adding bits and pieces everywhere were needed and the occasional ornaments , a good model and to see the progress instead of focusing on one part , I am still contemplating on covered hatches or gratings only on the main deck , I have a long boat waiting as well , as well as Janos I might use Hemp for the rigging , actually that was used in those days according Nicolaes Witsen ‘Ship building in the Dutch Golden Age .

IMG_2426.jpeg

IMG_2425.jpeg

IMG_2423.jpeg

Quote Heinrich :
Known under the initials VOC (Vereenigde Oostindische Compagnie), the Dutch East India Company would be worth about $7.8 trillion today. Founded in 1602, it accomplished globalist capitalism some 400 years before everyone else did. It began as a shipping company — with a 21 year monopoly on the Dutch spice market — before branching into almost every aspect of the spice trade, from production to consumer sales, while still keeping a massive footprint in the shipping industry at large for more than 100 years. But this success came at a massive moral cost: they exploited foreign workers, imprisoned many, and benefitted hugely from the slave trade. But for that 100 years, VOC was a gargantuan presence around the world. They controlled armadas of ships that were able to fight off navies and take territories, an impressive feat for a privately held company (imagine if Arby's began to take over entire city blocks).

You could probably say that the very idea of globalism stems from the VOC. Europeans wanted spices and textiles from Asia, but Asia didn't want very much in return except for precious metals — which Portugal and Spain had in abundance at the time. Paraphrasing here for the sake of brevity, the VOC created a hugely profitable trade corridor between Asia and Europe. And from around 1620 to 1630, the VOC used profits to reinvest in itself, becoming exponentially bigger in the process., not only that Heinrich they where the first one to trade shares on the stock exchange ( Amsterdamse Beurs)

Quote Heinrich :
Known under the initials VOC (Vereenigde Oostindische Compagnie), the Dutch East India Company would be worth about $7.8 trillion today. Founded in 1602, it accomplished globalist capitalism some 400 years before everyone else did. It began as a shipping company — with a 21 year monopoly on the Dutch spice market — before branching into almost every aspect of the spice trade, from production to consumer sales, while still keeping a massive footprint in the shipping industry at large for more than 100 years. But this success came at a massive moral cost: they exploited foreign workers, imprisoned many, and benefitted hugely from the slave trade. But for that 100 years, VOC was a gargantuan presence around the world. They controlled armadas of ships that were able to fight off navies and take territories, an impressive feat for a privately held company (imagine if Arby's began to take over entire city blocks).

You could probably say that the very idea of globalism stems from the VOC. Europeans wanted spices and textiles from Asia, but Asia didn't want very much in return except for precious metals — which Portugal and Spain had in abundance at the time. Paraphrasing here for the sake of brevity, the VOC created a hugely profitable trade corridor between Asia and Europe. And from around 1620 to 1630, the VOC used profits to reinvest in itself, becoming exponentially bigger in the process., not only that Heinrich they where the first one to trade shares on the stock exchange ( Amsterdamse Beurs)
For interest sake , the old Canal mansion‘s in Amsterdam built with the proceeds of their ventures during those times ,a note : during my career at sea I sailed as a deck officer and later as Master with Amsterdam based companies with original history going back centuries , perhaps the Dutchies amongst you will know SMN , the Nederland LIne with a ingrained route between the Netherlands and East Indies and KJCPL ( Royal Interocean Lines ) / KPM and not to forget Royal Rotterdam Lloyd , these companies later formed Nedlloyd , sadly Maersk took over and their existence vanished .

Good job, Robert!
I've done the same with the masts (except the Mizen of course). I found the quality of material for the masts and yards, supplied by Kolderstok, excellent!
János

Good job, Robert!
I've done the same with the masts (except the Mizen of course). I found the quality of material for the masts and yards, supplied by Kolderstok, excellent!
János
Thank you Janos , the quality of the kit is excellent cannot agree more , I think I might use gratings on the Main deck instead of a covered hatch , and why not? the Batavia is after all a ‘Pinas’ class vessel like many others , mind you I stick with the historical aspects and do not always follow the kit’s plans despite how good they are

Back