Beginner entering

Hi,

Just wanted to say hi to you guys, as well as doing a short introduction of myself. :)

I'm a curios Swedish computer games developer who have just found out about ship modeling. I built a lot of those plastic car/aircraft models as a kid and is now looking forward to get started with some more advanced wood boat modeling. Expect some pictures from my upcoming first project in the near future. :)

/Klarre

Welcome Klarre...a lot of good advice and assistance to be found here. I'm sure you'll enjoy shipbuilding.
J

Welcome aboard. This is a very friendly site with great people. Take time to look around and enjoy. Hope to see you start a building log soon.

Thank you! I'm very excited to get started. I live just a few miles from the Vasa musem in Stockholm, and one of the goals of getting into this new hobby is to one day build it. I've been tempted to order it already, but as a beginner I will start out easy with Constructo's Bluenose II. Hopefully it will be delivered during the upcoming week.

Welcome Klarre,

I see that you already have a great welcome committee and I want to also welcome you.

I agree with Brian (as well as the others) that to get out your parts list of woods, dowels, parts, etc. and compare to the parts list. This may seem odd, but two things will happen. You will become very familiar with the boxes contents. You will get a feel of how things are arranged. Then lastly, just check to make sure all is there. Some parts are already made for you and some parts you have to make yourself. I am like you, as I built the plastic kind when I was a child. Humm, now at 56 - just getting back to the pleasure of crafting my own projects again. The one thing (major) about wooden model ships verses the plastic kind, is that the wooden ones, you build instead of putting together.
There is a vast difference. I am sure that you will be excited once you get your ship in and start to work on it.
One thing I highly suggest is what is called a "building board" --- its nothing more than just a flat and true plank or plywood that has some cleats to help hold your frame while you work on it.
It comes in handy to make sure that your frame will not become twisted. If you look around most every ones build log, you will see that we all have some sort of building board to help hold our models. Also for the Bluenose, a Keel CLamper is good to have as the BN is quite light weight.
One last thing. You will naturally want to start a "Build Log" of your progress.
If you go to "SOS Build Log from Kits" and click on that link, you will see at the top left corner another blue tab that says "New Topic". When you click on that tab, then in the SUBJECT line just fill out info as an example "Bluenose II build log by Klarre" Then when you "reply" to your own post, then this is the way to start your build log. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me at
donnie@shipsofscale.com

Thanks for all the warm welcomes, tips and suggestions! :) I went to the hardware store yesterday to pick up some stuff that might become handy. The Bluenose II is supposed to have "tools included". Don't know what tools they mean though so we'll see. Anyway, I got through all the items suggested in the "3. Tools" section on the main page of shipsofscale.com and hopefully I picked the most basic ones that will help me complete this easy rated ship I've ordered. If you see something that I've totally missed (except building board), I'm eager to hear. Oh, and as far as I've read it seems like the Constructo Bluenose II has a solid body (don't know the proper term yet ;) ) thus I might not need that many tools until I get into a more difficult ship. Thanks! :)

/Klarre

Attachments

• hardware.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 3,157
I just like it when Tools are Posted for us to see. I love tools ----

Looks like you are set and ready to go !

Ohhh - Solid Hull Huh ! Well, now that will be a good thing - much easier - this will mean a little carving. This means that the BNII might have "templates" to help with the shaping of the hull.

My first wooden ship that I actually completed was the Sultana a Solid Hull - very nice fun build.

The Solid Hull is most likely made of a semi soft wood --- so take it easy. Had to put wood back on after you take too much off.

Donnie
If you haven't already, get started with your Build Log under "SoS ship build logs from kits" and click on the "New Topic" and subject name your build. INclude your set of Tools too.

As soon as I receive the package I'll start the build log with photos of both the content and tools. :)

Hello Klarre, welcome aboard!

I think in German, we effectively have the same name. Or, at least they're pronounced the same in German :D

The Constructo kit should be a really nice start. I think it's not just a solid hull, but a pre-formed type, meaning you probably don't have to do any shaping at all and can focus on the deck and spars. Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing your posts!

Clare

Back