Belaying pins or not?

I read somewhere that the belaying pins were introduced on European ships (not talking about ancient Greek or Roman ones) on Dutch ships in the late 17th century. English and others started using it only afterwards. Is this correct?
Janos

It may be so. I am building the Mary Rose whilst reading the latest book produced by the Mary Rose Trust which details the most current archaeological evidence. She sank in 1545 and there is no evidence of belaying pins, just belaying rails, so pins must have come along after that.

Janos, about 10 years ago, I built H. Hahns "Hannah", a New England fishing schooner from the mid 1700's. She used only cleats (no belaying pins). In my research i found references to the British moving to belaying pins for their naval ships in the early 1700's with the merchant and fishing vessels adapting the practice mid-1700's and later. My model is rigged with sails and was puzzled with what to do with all the lines needed to control the sails. From what I found, they doubled up the lines of cleats based upon usage. And no, I cannot provide the source of the information - to long ago and to old to remember.

Janos
I have read this also.I tried researching this but was unable to find anything conclusive as to their date of introduction.I do believe Sovereign of the Seas had kevels and also the rigging was tied off to the many rails around the ships hull.I may have even read this in James Septon's book on the vessel.My research did point to the fact Sovereign definitely did not have pin rails.Kit manufacturers have taken liberties and raided the generic parts bin regarding this vessel.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Thanks, Gents!
Unfortunately I can't remember either where I read that source about the belaying pins. Everything what all of you said points in the same direction. No belaying pins on the Sovereign then.
Kit manufacturers, as usually, go the easy way and utilize the mass-produced pins in every possible kit (even in the Mamoli-kit of the Carracca Atlantica from the 15th century they supplied belaying pins...).
Janos

Back