Best Expert Ship kit

I want to try my hands on expert model ship but I can not make a decision which one to pick from - HMS Victory, SANTISIMA TRINIDAD etc. What would you advise? I would like to be challenged but also I want to make sure the ship I buy has good quality wood, etc. I am open to suggestions. Thanks

there are several other nice large ship builds you can do!

It all depends on Size, Cost & Quality you need and want.

You might give some specifics on scale or size of ship you are looking for.

Also a fine welcome to the Forums.

If you are looking for info on specific ships, try using the search function, or go to the build logs and check out what is going in other builders ship yards.

there are several other nice large ship builds you can do!

It all depends on Size, Cost & Quality you need and want.

You might give some specifics on scale or size of ship you are looking for.
I am looking for a great quality ship. Money is no concern. And larger, more detailed the better. What would you suggest?

I want to try my hands on expert model ship but I can not make a decision which one to pick from - HMS Victory, SANTISIMA TRINIDAD etc. What would you advise? I would like to be challenged but also I want to make sure the ship I buy has good quality wood, etc. I am open to suggestions. Thanks
Hallo and a warm welcome here on board of our forum.
Maybe you tell us a little bit about your experience until now, only to find out, which level would be the correct one.
Often modelers buy a Victory kit and after the first planking they stop, because it is too much ......
Refering good quality kits, especially if you ask for POB (PlankOnBulkhead) I have very good experience with kits from Caldercraft / Jotika.
They have the Victory, but also the Agamemnon and the Diana in their program....
Which scale do you prefer? Already an idea?

Hallo and a warm welcome here on board of our forum.
Maybe you tell us a little bit about your experience until now, only to find out, which level would be the correct one.
Often modelers buy a Victory kit and after the first planking they stop, because it is too much ......
Refering good quality kits, especially if you ask for POB (PlankOnBulkhead) I have very good experience with kits from Caldercraft / Jotika.
They have the Victory, but also the Agamemnon and the Diana in their program....
Which scale do you prefer? Already an idea?
Thank you for the welcome.

Maybe I am getting ahead of myself. I am a beginner, have no experience in building. I thought to challenge myself, I should jump straight to expert level. Do you think that is too naive ? Basically, I want to build something that is challenging, also looks good under the lights at home. I have done some research, there are few ships in mind like Norske Love, Victory but not sure which one to go with, and whether you would suggest to go with any of them considering it might be difficult for someone newbie like me. Thanks

Thank you for the welcome.

Maybe I am getting ahead of myself. I am a beginner, have no experience in building. I thought to challenge myself, I should jump straight to expert level. Do you think that is too naive ? Basically, I want to build something that is challenging, also looks good under the lights at home. I have done some research, there are few ships in mind like Norske Love, Victory but not sure which one to go with, and whether you would suggest to go with any of them considering it might be difficult for someone newbie like me. Thanks
Newbie in wooden ship modeling, or newbie in modeling in general - also this can be a big difference.
Also how much time per day per week do you have for such a project?
I see that you are young with 29, so I guess you have a normal job and only evenings and weekends free time for the hobby - With this a Victory project is maybe a project foir the next 2 to 3 years - also this will be a challenge to follow only one project for such a long time period........

I am sure step by step we can find together with you a good and challenging project, important will be, that you get into this hobby and you will build afterwards other ship models - and maybe afterwards ships in scratch building.....

Newbie in wooden ship modeling, or newbie in modeling in general - also this can be a big difference.
I see that you are young with 29, so I guess you have a normal job and only evenings and weekends free time for the hobby - With this a Victory project is maybe a project foir the next 2 to 3 years - also this will be a challenge to follow only one project for such a long time period........

I am sure step by step we can find together with you a good and challenging project, important will be, that you get into this hobby and you will build afterwards other ship models - and maybe afterwards ships in scratch building.....
you are spot on the assumptions. I had no idea it would take that long. I thought I could be done in 3 months. Lol. that is funny. 2-3 years sound like a big commitment for one ship. looks like I will have to downgrade my expectations. Will dig deeper to see what I might like and can handle. Thanks for the advice.

A smaller model with one mast can take 100 to 200 hours, two masts ships 200 to 400 hours and a big size 100 gun ship like the Victory easily more than 500 working hours. This is my own experience, based on my personal slow progress.......depending very much how accurate you are working.
There are thousands of started Victory kits existing, never finished, because the modeler underestimated the challenge......
....... but we will try the Best to bring you on the right track.....

I mentioned in the beginning Caldercraft / Jotika as a good manufacturer with good quality material, good manuals and drawings and with a very good range from small 1-masted ships to the big 3-masted Victory - take a look at the different ships, and think about which one could be interesting for you
The series is named "Nelsons Navy" and mainly in scale 1:64

A smaller model with one mast can take 100 to 200 hours, two masts ships 200 to 400 hours and a big size 100 gun ship like the Victory easily more than 500 working hours. This is my own experience, based on my personal slow progress.......depending very much how accurate you are working.
There are thousands of started Victory kits existing, never finished, because the modeler underestimated the challenge......
....... but we will try the Best to bring you on the right track.....

I mentioned in the beginning Caldercraft / Jotika as a good manufacturer with good quality material, good manuals and drawings and with a very good range from small 1-masted ships to the big 3-masted Victory - take a look at the different ships, and think about which one could be interesting for you
The series is named "Nelsons Navy" and mainly in scale 1:64
thank you for the recommendation. I see that they have great ships with various difficulty levels. I feel confident I can get double masted done.

I think time is very relative... you have to be honest with yourself for what you want out of it. If you're looking for a hobby to potter on when you're able and not worried about how soon you have a finished product then just enjoy those times and dont focus on the end. My spaceship scratchbuild is a long project...I work 9 hrs a day and have other commitments so I generally get 30 mins to an hour a day. For me it doesn't matter..I'm not in any rush to get it completed I just enjoy the process. Hence you have to work out your own personality type and what you want out of it.
I agree though that others can encourage to get thru things and difficulties that will arise in modelling! I would recommend at least one smaller model either beginner or intermediate to start with even if you use it as an experiment for plank bending etc.

Have a look at Le Courier from CAF model.( search this forum for it. )
It's a challenging kit but would build to something spectacular.
Definitely NOT suggesting POF (Plank On Frame) kit as the first one. Yes, it will be challenging but I am afraid without the necessary skills and most important experience, those challenges may lead to fiasco...

HM Cutter Sherbourne from Jotica most like one of those kits you may start. It is a great kit to build (IMHO)

Me, I don’t have a problem building, I think the rigging is going to kick my butt. I’m dreading when the building stops.

Back