Best kits with good instructions?

Hey all, quick question? Obviously there isn’t an easy answer but I’m curious do people have any consensus on the “best” kits with good instructions. I’m currently building the Pinta by Amati and I find the instructions very confusing. Appreciate any thoughts.

Sorry, I don't feel that I have enough experience with different brands to form an opinion. I am watching this thread to see others replies.
However, keep in mind what might be great to another person may not be good for you (perhaps they speak fluent Italian for instance). Also, instructions have changed over time. Where they used to just give you a printed plan and a book (maybe small) of text, now some (I don't know if all are ) are using lots of color pictures in their instructions.

Jeff

Sorry, I don't feel that I have enough experience with different brands to form an opinion. I am watching this thread to see others replies.
However, keep in mind what might be great to another person may not be good for you (perhaps they speak fluent Italian for instance). Also, instructions have changed over time. Where they used to just give you a printed plan and a book (maybe small) of text, now some (I don't know if all are ) are using lots of color pictures in their instructions.

Jeff
This is true in fact this kit has not one but 4 sheets and or booklets, sone with B&W photos. My main concern is that despite all this there isn’t a good legend to tell you what strips are for what other than the ones for main decks and hull itself. Maybe I’m just a nube but I appreciate clear and concise instructions, not having to decide which set of instructions to follow would be nice!

This is true in fact this kit has not one but 4 sheets and or booklets, sone with B&W photos. My main concern is that despite all this there isn’t a good legend to tell you what strips are for what other than the ones for main decks and hull itself. Maybe I’m just a nube but I appreciate clear and concise instructions, not having to decide which set of instructions to follow would be nice!
I agree ! I greatly appreciate it when everything is properly documented and there is no guesswork. :) I have a kit that only has one letter size sheet of double sided plans and a sheet if sail templates. Granted, it was not an expensive kit. LOL

DeAgostini models are made for beginners, have detailed color illustrated instructions, but the kits are hugely expensive. Most prominent kit makers assume you have some skills working with wood and tools, so you work mostly from plans. That's why the Amati Pinta instructions seemed confusing; it left out a lot steps they assumed you knew already. To get familiar with how to assemble wooden model ships, you have to have a couple books on model ship building, and a guide on planking a hull. A lot of information on ship model techniques can be found online. This online guide has lots of how to texts, but you have to pay for a subscription. I subscribed to it and found it well worth the money. Wooden Ship Modelling for Dummies. You can also find tutorials on several ship modelling forums.

DeAgostini models are made for beginners, have detailed color illustrated instructions, but the kits are hugely expensive. Most prominent kit makers assume you have some skills working with wood and tools, so you work mostly from plans. That's why the Amati Pinta instructions seemed confusing; it left out a lot steps they assumed you knew already. To get familiar with how to assemble wooden model ships, you have to have a couple books on model ship building, and a guide on planking a hull. A lot of information on ship model techniques can be found online. This online guide has lots of how to texts, but you have to pay for a subscription. I subscribed to it and found it well worth the money. Wooden Ship Modelling for Dummies. You can also find tutorials on several ship modelling forums.
Thanks. Agree with you experience is key, it just makes things difficult when it says something like “use strips #2 “ when there’s no way no figure out what #2 is!

Thanks. Agree with you experience is key, it just makes things difficult when it says something like “use strips #2 “ when there’s no way no figure out what #2 is!
Isn't there a page with the kit content?

On that page, at least my Artesania Latina kits will have all the parts listed by numbers (same numbers in the plan and in the pictures).

Example: You go to the #2 and the row will say "strips 5x2 mm 50 pieces of 500 mm" ( I am just inventing my example).

A lot of times you will see that instead of those 50 are just 25 x1000 mm strips of 5x2 mm . That is because you have then to split in half the strips.

In other words, many times they provide the "total material you will need" but you have to use and cut by yourself accordingly to the plan and instructions.

I hope you understand my example.

Do you have that list of parts ?

Best !
Daniel

If you do not have the pages with the parts by number, then you will need to measure on the plan what are the strips #2. Let say, in the drawing those strips are 5 mm width. If there isn't a drawing where you can also measure the thickness (5×2 mm), then you will check a) if you have only 5 mm strips or b) 2 types of 5 mm strips (5×2 and 5x1 mm).

For the b example you can ask here what would be the best to use (5×2 or 5x1 mm) depending where you stand on the built. Example : hull planking or deck planking. Etc.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Daniel

There isn’t any but the plans. There are multiple books and plans but nowhere does it have a corresponding number to an item list. Very strange. Thanks

I'm on my second OcCre build and I've found the instructions fairly clear. Good pictures and a good inventory list. But like Jeff, I don't have a lot of experience with other brands. I just started a ship by Pavel Nikitin. Instructions aren't as extensive. What I've found most helpful are the videos. OcCre usually has a YouTube series for its ships where they show you step-by-step what to do. You don't have to follow exactly what they do but it's a great reference.

I'm on my second OcCre build and I've found the instructions fairly clear. Good pictures and a good inventory list. But like Jeff, I don't have a lot of experience with other brands. I just started a ship by Pavel Nikitin. Instructions aren't as extensive. What I've found most helpful are the videos. OcCre usually has a YouTube series for its ships where they show you step-by-step what to do. You don't have to follow exactly what they do but it's a great reference.
Thanks so much!

There isn’t any but the plans. There are multiple books and plans but nowhere does it have a corresponding number to an item list. Very strange. Thanks
Strange. You bought it brand new ?

Still you can move on. With the plans you have the drawings of the ship. Look for a "Pinta build log" . Use the log as you building guide. From the plan measure the different parts. Look for them on the kit. If the kit was new, then you have to have all.

Also ask on the forum concerning general questions, if any one can send/post pictures of the part list. I am sure a member could help.

That would be my strategy.

Cheers
Daniel

Ps: post here

Hey all, quick question? Obviously there isn’t an easy answer but I’m curious do people have any consensus on the “best” kits with good instructions. I’m currently building the Pinta by Amati and I find the instructions very confusing. Appreciate any thoughts.
HELLO.
IT IS A VERY DIFFICULTY QUESTION.
First, of all it depends much how much you want to spend. there are from around € to more than 1000€
next are you a beginner. if this is the case there are many good beginner models until light advanced - here in Europe I would go for OcCre-Spain. I have buñf about 15 of their Models over my 50 years of building.
price wise they are imn the middle class-about 5-600€ inside EU. to US and other countries there may be added custom duty.
I have never built the very espensime mpoderl- 1000 € or more.
there are some beginner builds here on S.O.S. - apart from that OcCreb models can be down loaded-PDF FORMAT -free of charge neven before you byt it,m so time to study
come back if you need more info-
Amati lately it there collaboration with the ADMIRALS MODELS-far to enpe4nce for me

I have made models from Occre, mainly trams and trains, but also the Ullisses tugboat, Artesania Latina (the 1848 Stagecoach) and the Billings Boat's St. Roch. Of these, I would say that Occre's instructions top the list. The Occre kits do vary, but most have detailed parts lists, colour photos and clear instructions. The Billings Boat - while a great model, often had me shaking my head. Instructions were very minimal and I had to contact Billings numerous times with technical questions. Some parts were not easily identified. Artesania Latina was a close second - also detailed instructions (all digital) and lots of photos.

And Occre also has a Facebook Page where members can ask technical questions and obtain advice and best practices. I have relied on this group many times.

Amati instructions seem to be poor. Occre and Sergal have great instruuctions

I have made models from Occre, mainly trams and trains, but also the Ullisses tugboat, Artesania Latina (the 1848 Stagecoach) and the Billings Boat's St. Roch. Of these, I would say that Occre's instructions top the list. The Occre kits do vary, but most have detailed parts lists, colour photos and clear instructions. The Billings Boat - while a great model, often had me shaking my head. Instructions were very minimal and I had to contact Billings numerous times with technical questions. Some parts were not easily identified. Artesania Latina was a close second - also detailed instructions (all digital) and lots of photos.
I AGREE WITH BILLING BOASTS- LOWER CLASS- NORSKE LOVE ABOUT 250-300€. THEIR TUGBOATS AND FISHING BOATS AND TRAWLERS ARE NOT THAT BUT IF YOU ARE EXPERIENCED.

hello If we talk about cheap kits, then I can praise Master Korabel. The instructions are clear and Youtube.com has video material on how to build the model (I'm talking about the Brigantina Phoenix). The hull wood in my kit is pear. The price of the kit in Russia is about 100 euros (dollars). It's hard to buy in Europe right now.

Model Expo- Anything by Chuck Passaro. You can even go to their website and download the instruction. For example the Brig Syren.

Back