bevels

but in ship building a rolling bevel means a bevel that changes as it follows a curve or follows the shape of an edge

this is what a rolling bevel looks like at the bottom there is very little bevel then as it continues upward it rolls out wide and as it approaches the top it rolls back in to a tight bevel.

this rolls as apposed to a bevel on a straight edge where it is constant

tracing 2.jpg

Last edited:
Rolling bevel and clinker planked hull:

In most cases, in the center area of the hull, in the greatest curved area, the upper edge of the fixed plank receives a slight bevel so that the plank being installed on top rests against the bevel for a tighter joint.

As you move towards the stern and the bow, where the hull becomes more narrow, the 2 planks receive a bevel on part of the thickness of each plank: the top edge of the lower plank and the bottom edge of the upper plank. Along the planks, the angle of the bevel changes so that at the stern and bow the bevel is applied over the entire thickness of each plank. As the changing bevel is applied to both planks, the thickness of the apparent overlap decreases. The result is 2 planks with no apparent overlap as the entire thickness is equally beveled.

Illustration:
Keeping in mind that the bevel is progressive from center towards front and back.

20200411_141607 copy.jpg

Last edited:
THANK YOU GILLES GOT IT I THINK WILL TRY IT OUT TOMORROW my only problem wit this is the very fragile material 1/32 inch tried to go to 1/16 inch no go because orf building board so i stick with 1/32 inch hope it works out. Don

Back