Black paper for caulking

Bryian

Staff member
Forum Moderator

Hi gang,
Many of you would know of the world famous Russian master ship modeller Dr Michael and his models. There's some videos around on his building techniques which I have been watching on u tube.

So been experimenting today with one of Dr Michaels techniques for using black paper to simulate caulking. He states in the video to ever use manufactured black paper as its too refined and the glue does not penetrate through the paper properly.
He uses brown paper bags, the type to get at fruit shops etc. So today I followed his process which I will list below.

First I cut some strips of brown paper, then soaked them in black acrylic paint diluted with 50 % water and then hung them out to drip dry for a few hours.

IMG_2379.JPGIMG_2381.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I then did a glue up of a scrap piece of cherry and set it aside to dry for a few hours.

I just trimmed off the excess and sandpapered it and rubbed a bit of beeswax on to see the effect. Not bad at all. Will need some more practice, but it has possibilities.

The thin black line at the top of the board is the black paper caulking.

IMG_2382.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi gang,
Many of you would know of the world famous Russian master ship modeller Dr Michael and his models. There's some videos around on his building techniques which I have been watching on u tube.

So been experimenting today with one of Dr Michaels techniques for using black paper to simulate caulking. He states in the video to ever use manufactured black paper as its too refined and the glue does not penetrate through the paper properly.
He uses brown paper bags, the type to get at fruit shops etc. So today I followed his process which I will list below.

First I cut some strips of brown paper, then soaked them in black acrylic paint diluted with 50 % water and then hung them out to drip dry for a few hours.

Hi Bryian! is there any way you could post a link to Dr Michaels videos on youtube? I'm still a newbie and could learn so much from watching some good videos on building techniques. Also thank you for the post. The results look really nice!

Back