Black Pearl - Zhl 1:50 by Vfordyce [COMPLETED BUILD]

Every time I check back to see how things are going I'm amazed at how much you have done.

The ship looks great!

I notice you had to trim back the sails a bit to get them to fit, guess I'll be needing to do that as well.
Staining the sails with tea was a novel idea for me, I was going to try and dye them.

Also, you sewed the rope into the creased seam of the sail, that's something I didn't expect.
But that's to far in the future to be thinking about right now.

So, a new lathe machine. Thumbsup
I have one (not new) but I haven't figure out how to get it to do what I want.
Trying to turn a dowel is a challenge for me, I like the "put the dowel in a drill tip" better.
Once you figure it out, you can show me ;).

I've finally gotten around to opening the 1st box of my BP. Took some pics.

I will be hitting you up when it's time to order those lights and wires, which should be soon:).

This thing is getting close, I setting a personal goal to finish my Enterprise before you complete BP.:)

Every time I check back to see how things are going I'm amazed at how much you have done.

The ship looks great!

I notice you had to trim back the sails a bit to get them to fit, guess I'll be needing to do that as well.
Staining the sails with tea was a novel idea for me, I was going to try and dye them.

Also, you sewed the rope into the creased seam of the sail, that's something I didn't expect.
But that's to far in the future to be thinking about right now.

So, a new lathe machine. Thumbsup
I have one (not new) but I haven't figure out how to get it to do what I want.
Trying to turn a dowel is a challenge for me, I like the "put the dowel in a drill tip" better.
Once you figure it out, you can show me ;).

I've finally gotten around to opening the 1st box of my BP. Took some pics.

I will be hitting you up when it's time to order those lights and wires, which should be soon:).

This thing is getting close, I setting a personal goal to finish my Enterprise before you complete BP.:)
I thought I was getting close, but as I was belaying the main lifts, the belaying pin rack broke off. Now I have to redo several lines. And I was halfway through! Argh!

I glued the belaying pin rack back on. Fortunately, one of the lines hadn’t been cut yet, so I unraveled it. The other line was already trimmed, so I had to cut it because it was too short. I thought I’d try an old silor’s trick of tying a sheet knot to add additional line. It leaves a knot on the line, but sailors apparently used that technique when the line was short and rope was getting scarce. It seems to hold pretty well. image.jpg

It's a pirate ship that makes it more authentic I'll insure mine are well glued. I like your lathe with the work you put into your models when will you have time to play with it?
I plan on trying it for tapering masts and yards on my Soleil Royal. A little overkill there. I’m enjoying tools and learning more about them.

Hi Vic,
.....just found your build site! I’m still learning how to navigate this forum as I just joined a few days ago. Seems like Jodie and you are really great guys doing fantastic work. I certainly will let you know when I start. Tonight‘s bedtime reading will be starting from Page 1 of your build...looking forward to the reading!

Hi Vic,
.....just found your build site! I’m still learning how to navigate this forum as I just joined a few days ago. Seems like Jodie and you are really great guys doing fantastic work. I certainly will let you know when I start. Tonight‘s bedtime reading will be starting from Page 1 of your build...looking forward to the reading!
Welcome to the thread.

Good day Vic! Read your entire thread on your build last night and took notes! Great help, learned so much! I agree with you, going 3v and spending another century is worth the money! When I saw what Jodie was dealing with in the wiring and thought, no way! I went to the site you recommended and have what I needed hunk I’ll need to do the 3v changeover! Once I figure out how to PM you, I’ll share some more thoughts! Don’t want to mess up this thread of your! Have a great day!

I consider this an educational (for both others and myself) thread, so I welcome questions and discussion, even if it goes off point. Others might not feel that way and desire to show their work and not the work of others. As a friend of mine once said about other topics, "Builder's choice." But I PM'd you so you could see how in case you want to use that medium. You should have a red 1 next to the envelope at the top of your page. Click on it to respond to the conversation.

Looking good nice flag how did you make it, I gave up trying to get the flags to look right on my last ship.
I used heavy paper using a picture off the internet. I resized it using Paint 3D and reversed the image for the other side. I glued the two sides together using rubber cement and blackened the edges with a Sharpie. It was stiff enough to shape at that point. I just had to work at it while looking at some real flags to see how it should look.

Back