Black Pearl - Zhl 1:50 by Vfordyce [COMPLETED BUILD]

I had to press down with the pliers on the hinges till the glue set a little. We’ll see if it holds this morning when I apply tung oil to bulkhead.

The wiring and soldering are the next items, and they are kicking my tail! Soooo tiny! Looking at the paperwork, I've got a lot of it to do. MystRacing is running interference ahead of me with his build. I hope I can figure it out soon. Thanksgiving is coming up real fast!

Okay, a friend has a soldering station, and he gave up golf today to help me with the electrical. After four hours, we got three leds wired and tested. MystRacing calculated 40 hours at that rate. Hopefully I’ll get better at it soon. Using a voltage tester to see if they work.

5F8C9240-9AB8-42BC-8B06-005761E7F074.jpeg

Okay, a friend has a soldering station, and he gave up golf today to help me with the electrical. After four hours, we got three leds wired and tested. MystRacing calculated 40 hours at that rate. Hopefully I’ll get better at it soon. Using a voltage tester to see if they work.

View attachment 182663
You would think that at our age we would already know how to do all this stuff.

Ship coming along nicely.

What temp did you set the soldering iron to ?

This part looks intimidating to me.
I've soldered wire leads to batteries previously and it was always a challenge.

Also the wire looks extremely thick for those little LEDs.

Okay, a friend has a soldering station, and he gave up golf today to help me with the electrical. After four hours, we got three leds wired and tested. MystRacing calculated 40 hours at that rate. Hopefully I’ll get better at it soon.

We set the iron between 800-900 and made sure we tinned the tip and kept it silver. Our goal was put on a touch of rosin flux on both wire and led. Then puts solder on the tip of the wire. Then heat up the wire so solder goes to led terminal. I used a current voltage meter to check current flow and light came on. Then I built the lantern cage and slipped it on. When I checked it again, it didn’t work. Got out the magnifying glass and noticed the side of the led was touching the lantern cage. So I used a needle to move the led more toward the middle and it worked! Now you know all the things NOT to do!63E8E61C-4B9C-49D3-8873-3CD0DE2EB4F6.jpegimage.jpg

Is there a treasure chest with the kit?
I’m using a wicker basket so far. There may be something in captain’s cabin. Someone made their own. I need to go back and see who it was. He used a dowel for the lid split down the middle and a block for the bottom. Strips of thin card stock for the metal straps/hinges. Hollow out the top and bottom to hold sequins or glitter.

Back