Block tumbler from a food mixer. Fast, cheap solution.

I was trying to find a simplest solution as I only need to tumble 1 set of blocks every 5 years from kits I build. My idea worked well. I constructed my block tumbler using one blade of a food mixer, 150 grit sand paper with fabric backing, glass jar with turn on lid. 4 pieces of sand paper I tied on to the blade with polyester threads. See below.

I dropped whole set into a jar and tumbled about 30 min high speed. See video below. Oops. Unfortunately videos are not supported on this site for posting.

Here is result. All larger blocks are ready. Some smaller blocks made of harder wood may still need a bit of tumbling. Overall blocks now can be used. Completer exercise including tumbling took me 1 hour 45 minutes. Is not it amazing? And I did not ruin a food mixer!
default_biggrin.png

@Y.T. Great job on blocks! Actually, Model Expo has similar concept tumbler, and sell it for $10~12.00. It has been made as the kit, you have to assemble, and glue it before use for the first time. I bought one, and don't know if I really like it. However, your blocks looking much better than original, out of the box.

Back