Bluenose 41 years ago

thats a fine looking ship.

just strip off the rigging so you can have better access to the deck parts for a good going over. a paint brush, some chlorox solution and a fresh coat of paint n lacquer. once fully cleaned and refinished, and all new rigging installed, she'll be looking as good as new.

ive got 2 ships in need of a good going over, thats my next project after i finish my clipper ive been working on forever.

I built this little ship 41 years ago when living in St Mawgan, Cornwall, UK. It has survived many moves over the years. But thinking it's time to quit cleaning and repairing. Believe it's going 'over the side' this time.

View attachment 437346

View attachment 437343View attachment 437349View attachment 437350View attachment 437351View attachment 437353

View attachment 437348
Definitely worth the time to clear it up. Take closeup pictures of the sections and rigging before you start. But lots of Q-tips and some alcohol. Dip the Q-tips in the alcohol and brush the wood parts. It will take time and patience, but the results will be worth it. Do the same thing in the rigging if it’s in good shape. If not purchase some sizes of line. Make sure you run the line through some bees wax and then through your fingers before you rig. That’s too nice a model to let it go. Good luck.

Looking at the pictures provided I don't think a good cleaning is going to be a problem. Blow off the loose particles with a hair drier then take a soft brush ( small soft paint brush or an artists brush) moisten it with water and gently removed any particles that cannot be blown off. If the decks were sealed with a varnish, which I assume they were, a damp brush will do no harm to the wood. Try not to get water on the sails as they will show water stains after they dry. I use the method on all my wood ship models with good results.

Okay. thanks everyone. It's still sitting on the 'dog haircut table' ROTF. Trying to get started back on building my Armed Virginia Sloop. When I do, I'll work on the Bluenose at the same time. Thinking about taking the sails and rigging off and redo them. I can probably find a rigging diagram online somewhere. Wonder if I can lighten the color of the sails, they look awful 'browinish'? Very mild solution of bleach?

A few years back I came into the possession of a Billing Boats model of the Bluenose. All the standing and running rigging was about gone, as were the majority of the plastic blocks. I cleaned the model, washed the sails, made a new fisherman's stay sail, refreshed all the paint and redid all the rigging. It took me about a half year, while taking it easy.
Having said that, I'll think it's worth your while to do a little restauration.
When interested, here's my blog: https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/rebuilding-bluenose-i-bb576-completed-build.8168/

Okay. thanks everyone. It's still sitting on the 'dog haircut table' ROTF. Trying to get started back on building my Armed Virginia Sloop. When I do, I'll work on the Bluenose at the same time. Thinking about taking the sails and rigging off and redo them. I can probably find a rigging diagram online somewhere. Wonder if I can lighten the color of the sails, they look awful 'browinish'? Very mild solution of bleach?
the brownish sails look great! id leave m alone. my oldest america schooner has brownish sails that gives it a really nice old look of canvas. maybe give m a hand wash with mild soap n water just to get the dust out. also blotter dry them and reshape while damp.

41 years old, plastic blocks and poor quality rigging?! Yes, this must be a Billing Boats model. It was not a lasercutted kit, I guess ;-)

Hi NoLLe. Billings Boats it is then!! You are correct! No laser cut anything during those times. Everything was cut out. Single planked. I had built several ships while living in St Mawgan. Wish I still lived there. Loved the UK. This is the only remaining ship which didn't get destroyed during my many moves.

Think I will start on repairing the Bluenose this week. Maybe even try improving some of the fittings too! Will reference RDN1954's reconstruction of his Bluenose and any previous build logs of the Bluenose on SOS.

For my rebuild I used the Billing Boats plans. They have been updated somewhat over time, but overall they're still usable.
There are quite a few other plans around, but they will require some modifications to your hardware and rigging.
The blocks and ropes I used, were almost 1:1 in accordance with the BB plans.
With the experience gained with my POF Bluenose build, I would probably have opted for more realistic block- and rope sizes for the rebuild and maybe even some customizations, like adding stanchions and scuppers. Simultaneously, I still would have liked to maintain some form of model authenticity.
Lot of topics to consider...

I searched for billingboats plans. Couldn't find any. ModelExpo has plans for the the Model Shipways Bluenose for $39.99. Wondering if I should buy these? What do you think?

Hi Lakedaisy, it's always possible to order fitting real wooden blocks and etcetera somewere.
And single planking is typical for Billing Boats.
Good luck with restauring her. It's indeed a wise decision.

Back