Bluenose by Liebre

I have never worked with wood before, and this is my first time.

Started with the beginning of the keel

I followed Heinrich's instructions and followed Peter's construction method, for assembling the keel
On a glass plate and with an iron ruler

After light sanding it already looks a lot better
Start.jpg

I have read everyone's reports, and learned a lot from them, thank you for that

Last edited:
Yesterday something went wrong with placing.
Going on too long… ;)

Yesterday sanded further with grit 800, 1000, and 1500

The lines are not yet visible, but that will come when the wood is treated.

Anyone have an idea?
Danish oil ??
Kiel.jpg

Hello Henk - it is really great to see that you have made a start with Bluenose. Danish Oil is very popular among some builders and you will certainly not go wrong with that. However, please make sure that you oil only after all the gluing of the specific parts had been done. The adhesive qualities of glue are seriously affected by oil finishes.

Hi Henk,
Nice to see the starting of your build and build-log. The first steps looks nice.
I will update the BN-list soon.
For my BN I have linseed oil in mind (gekookte lijnzaadolie). But I do have to make some test with the rest wood from the frame-sheets.
Regards, Peter

If you wish to treat the parts as you go try using a water based, semi gloss, polyurethane. Dries clear and hard. Apply light coat of the poly, let dry, lightly sand. In my experience I have not had any difficulty gluing something onto a poly treated part with either CA or PVA glues.

If you wish to treat the parts as you go try using a water based, semi gloss, polyurethane. Dries clear and hard. Apply light coat of the poly, let dry, lightly sand. In my experience I have not had any difficulty gluing something onto a poly treated part with either CA or PVA glues.
This is exactly what I did, and I have never had any issues with glue adhesion. I like the look of a satin polyurethane clear coat after following up with steel wool.

Hello Henk. Please check your PM.

Thank you for your message

I will take it with the build

Ireceived the CAD files from Dean this week, to investigate whether printing with resin would yield better results.

The printing was not done by me, but from a member of the Dutch Modelbouw Forum (NMF), which I helped in the past with airbrusch work

The files supplied by Dean had to be converted to another format, I was able to find a free trial that could be converted from *.STL to *.STP , which the resin printer accepted (Glovis)SNAG_Program-0000.png

(Never heard of it until last week..)

Printing took from what I heard 6 hours (glp)

The result looks good

Dean has given permission to share the information and Peter Voogd has done the post-measurements

And if Peter's measurements are approved , you can trust that it is correct

So there is a good chance that the BN will soon also sail with the adjusted steering wheel , under the direct command of Capt. Voogd whether or not controlled by ALF (only interpretation) ;-)

Attachments

• PastedGraphic-1.tiff
    529.6 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Hi All,
I did some e-mail/PM coördination. For the shipwheel we go further in this thread:
Dean has already posted the latest information.
All the credits till now for Dean’s design and Henk’s printing.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
I have never worked with wood before, and this is my first time.

Started with the beginning of the keel

I followed Heinrich's instructions and followed Peter's construction method, for assembling the keel
On a glass plate and with an iron ruler

After light sanding it already looks a lot better
View attachment 236399

I have read everyone's reports, and learned a lot from them, thank you for that
Hallo @Henk Liebre
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Happy Birthday Henk! May you enjoy a splendid and most creative day Birthday-CakePopcornExplosionBottle

Back