Bluenose Dories

There has been a lot of chatter in various threads around the dories in the Bluenose. After much pilfering, deliberation and pondering I have come up with the following dory layout. The file(s) contain the exact same info just in different formats for those who may not have the requisite software. The files are vector files so can be sent to a laser cutter, which is what I have done. The wood I used is from the sides of those mandarin orange boxes, very thin plywood. Yay to recycling. Here's a pic of the laser cutting the patterns. For some reason I can't seem to attach the .ai file so message me if you would like the .ai of this pattern and I can send you the file. Maybe Donnie can add the .ai file??

IMG_2344.JPG

Attachments

• 4 Dories.dxf
    574 KB · Views: 11
  • 4 Dories.jpg
    4 Dories.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 4 Dories.pdf
    113 KB · Views: 14
All of those blue clips look like a plague of huge locust descending upon a small morsel below, fighting to have first pecks. Your dory fleet will turn out well. Rich (PT-2)
For a good video on Schooner Dory Fishing take a look at:
Start around 1 minute in for good views and narrative explaining the process.
Rich (PT-2)

Anyone have ideas for clamping the bow of the dory? All my clamps keep slipping off. I'm considering building a jig to jam the bow into but seems like a lot of work if someone has a quick simple solution.

Anyone have ideas for clamping the bow of the dory? All my clamps keep slipping off. I'm considering building a jig to jam the bow into but seems like a lot of work if someone has a quick simple solution.
What about taking a small piece of wood and drilling two holes at angles for small dowels which the bow can be shoved between and rubber bands used for additional clamping force at the top of the short dowels. It is a jig but not too complicated. . . . never tried it as it just came to mind now. Rich (PT-2)

What about taking a small piece of wood and drilling two holes at angles for small dowels which the bow can be shoved between and rubber bands used for additional clamping force at the top of the short dowels. It is a jig but not too complicated. . . . never tried it as it just came to mind now. Rich (PT-2)
Second idea. . . take a 3/4 inch board and cut angled V-notch into which you can push the dory bow and hold it in place with rubber bands across the bow gunn'ls and longitudinally stem to stern with longer ones or even string. Old boot jack idea at a smaller scale Rich (PT-2)

Thanks for all the ideas. I like that last one Rich. I since pulled them together as best as I could and shoved a small piece of balsa into the bow as I unintentionally trimmed the planks a few mm short. :rolleyes: My newbieness is showing again. Also my impatience as I didn't wait long enough to see your notch in the plywood idea. I really think that one would have worked swimingly. Here's the fleet with putty in the small gaps, ready for final cleaning. Still need to add the splash rail.IMG_0178.jpg

Thanks for all the ideas. I like that last one Rich. I since pulled them together as best as I could and shoved a small piece of balsa into the bow as I unintentionally trimmed the planks a few mm short. :rolleyes: My newbieness is showing again. Also my impatience as I didn't wait long enough to see your notch in the plywood idea. I really think that one would have worked swimingly. Here's the fleet with putty in the small gaps, ready for final cleaning. Still need to add the splash rail.View attachment 195907
I think that recall reading or hearing that the seat thwarts were laid in the bottom until the dory was being readied for hoisting over the side. That way they could be nested more tightly and with the load of the upper dories on the lowest seats. I am not sure about the oars but they may have been on the bottom of each or stored nearby to put in together with the baited hooks' line barrels and rest of the fishing gear needed. That video that I put in is really interesting to watch several times in some parts to understand how this longline type of fishing was done and what was needed in the dories. You dory compliment is looking nice. That is a long way off for me unless I want a diversion. Rich (PT-2)

Ok, my internet is back up :rolleyes: Today has been adding splash rails, making gaffs and starting on buckets. Here are the dories now
, ready for final cleanup.
43C69521-EFC5-4878-8EFF-C1F742E97F0D.jpeg
Here are the fishing gaff hooks. Bamboo toothpick cut into pieces, hole drilled and used trimmed pieces from eye hooks to make the gaff.
F3A5C737-32E0-454F-BA7F-CF411C2CC233.jpeg682917D9-8870-4AF1-8CEB-7FF5C31D1919.jpeg7202FD8A-34AC-4596-9620-95E584956EB2.jpeg

Here is my bucket making method. My jig has another piece of eye hook trim inserted to hold the bucket bottom.
CD7DB128-1303-4859-921F-4E7610C80259.jpeg

I used a small elastic to hold the pieces in place on the jig then applied glue.
86CDA250-208B-4F4D-B4E2-CA45327F40B3.jpeg

A little twist and the jig pops out.
709832E6-5FC3-4BB7-AAB2-775A88596773.jpeg

Here is my bucket making method. My jig has another piece of eye hook trim inserted to hold the bucket bottom.
View attachment 196520

I used a small elastic to hold the pieces in place on the jig then applied glue.
View attachment 196521

A little twist and the jig pops out.
View attachment 196522
Oh my. . . the opportunities abound for small fishing accessories aboard. Did you cut in gurry sluices? The heads and entrals have to be disposed of with every round of processing. From various drawings I have found that there were four on each side which may have had closure panels when in regular sailing or racing. (assumption only) Rich PT-2

Back