Bluenose Rabbet line

Hi everyone.
I've just started building the Bluenose from scratch, based on the prints from P.F. Eisnor.
All ribs are made, now working on the keel, and here a small issue turned up.
The rabbet is a grove in the keel where the hull plank is ment to fit into where the plank meets the keel (right?)
And the rabbet runs along the keel from stem to stern post close to the bottom part of the ribs, to make a snug fit when planking.
But! At the stem end the rabbet (according to the plans) deviates from beeing close to the ribs, and runs along the rim of the keel. Is that right? Should it not follow the ribs also in the stern (as indicated with a red line in the attached file)?
PS: Please excuse my english, gone a bit rusty after 70 years in Norway)!Drawing.jpg

Hi everyone.
I've just started building the Bluenose from scratch, based on the prints from P.F. Eisnor.
The rabbet is a grove in the keel where the hull plank is ment to fit into where the plank meets the keel (right?)
And the rabbet runs along the keel from stem to stern post close to the bottom part of the ribs, to make a snug fit when planking.
But! At the stem end the rabbet (according to the plans) deviates from beeing close to the ribs, and runs along the rim of the keel. Is that right? Should it not follow the ribs also in the stern (as indicated with a red line in the attached file)?
PS: Please excuse my english, gone a bit rusty after 70 years in Norway)!View attachment 342922
Hello Roy,
Your English is no problem (for me :)). I understand your question.
The rabbet has to follow the ribs in a smooth flowing line. But in the flat end, the dead wood, the rabbet flows flat out into that flat area.
Perhaps does this picture of my build give you a better look:
028 Rabbet.jpg
1669710078442.png
The keel and the rudder beam protrude beyond the deadwood. That space is filled with the hull planks.

This is the construction from the YuanQing kit. But I see the same in "The Practicum" from Gene Bodnar, also building conform Eisnor. You can download that practicum here: --> Gene Bodnar's Practicum <--
On his page 31 you can see it in his 'step 3' on this picture 022 and 023 and page 32, pictures 025 and 026.
Also page 50, picture 058. But Bodnar has not planked his model till the keel and over the deadwood.
Hopefully this will help you.

And now you have found the SoS and know how to post ;), perhaps starting a build-log?
A scratch Eisnor based Bluenose build is always interesting.
You can post it in this area: --> SoS Build Logs Scratch from Plans <--
I am sure that every question you ask, many member will help you with answers and solution.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Hello Peter.
Thanks for quick reply.
Understand that the Eisnor Plans and Genes "Practicum" (which I have downloaded and printet out) are showing the correct rabbet line. Yet not sure how to do the planking where the ribs meet the deadwood (if I choose to do full planking), but I will start a bulding log, as you recommended, and bring up the issue there.
Best regards
Roy

Hi everyone.
PS: Please excuse my english, gone a bit rusty after 70 years in Norway)!View attachment 342922
Hallo @RoyHeit
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back