Book review Book Review: "THE ROYAL YACHT CAROLINE 1749 - Anatomy of the Ships" by Sergio Bellabarba

Uwek

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Moderator

THE ROYAL YACHT CAROLINE 1749 - Anatomy of the Ships
by Sergio Bellabarba and Giorgio Osculati

IMG_28721.jpg IMG_28731.jpg

• Series: Anatomy of the Ship
  • Paperback or Hardcover: 129 pages
  • Publisher: Conway Maritime Press Ltd (June 15, 1989), Naval Inst Pr (1 Sept. 1989)
  • Language: English (also Italian available)
  • Package Dimensions: 10.2 x 9.5 x 0.8 inches , 25.4 x 2.5 x 27.3 cm
  • Shipping Weight: 1.8 pounds

On amazon and abebooks UK or US appr. 100 Euro,
check abebooks Italy – there the English version for only 35 Euro, due to the fact, that also an Italian version was published.

IMG_28751.jpg IMG_28761.jpg

Synopsis from Book Cover

George II´s yacht the Royal Caroline, popularly known as the Caroline, was one of the most sumtuosly decorated vessels of all time. However, the ship was also a uniquely important link in the development of fast-sailing vessels in the Royal Navy. Inheriting a native English tradition of hull design that went back to the last years of the seventeenth century, the ship´s lines were also scaled up for some of the new frigates and sloops of the 1750s and the design was re-used as late as 1804.
This volume features
A detailed introduction outlining the design, building and career of the ship, as well as emphasizing its importance to the history of ship design
A pictorial section based on the author´s exquisitely detailed model of the ship
A guide to the highly elaborate decorative scheme of the vessel reproduced on the jacket
Over 200 perspective and 3-view drawings of virtually every aspect of the ship, including the carved works, fittings, masts, yards and sails, boats and armament
A complete anatomy of the ship in words, photographs and drawings

and inside is written:

This book has been written principally for makers of ship models. In fact the research which forms the bulk of the material contained here was begun many years ago with the sole purpose of building a model of Royal Caroline, with Plate XLIX of Chapman's Architectura Navails Mercatoria as the only available item of information. In addition to the most detailed plans, we have sought to provide as much information as possible concerning the ship's history and, within the limits of the available space, the contemporary construction techniques and fitting-out procedures, with particular reference to rigging.

Remark: The Chapman drawings of the Royal Caroline you can find for download via my post
https://www.shipsofscale.com/sosfor...s-of-the-af-chapman-drawings.1874/#post-30107

IMG_28771.jpg IMG_28781.jpg

Contents

Historical background / The development of the Yacht
Career
Royal Caroline and the development of English fast sailing ships
Sources used for the reconstruction / Hull structure and planking
Decorative work
Colour scheme / Fittings
The ship´s boat / Armament / Masts and spars
Tops, trestletrees and caps / Standing Rigging
The Sails
Running Rigging to the yards
Running Rigging to the Sails
Belaying
Rigging dimensions
Sources
The photographs (page 40 to 44)
The Drawings (page 45 to 120)
A – Lines and general arrangement
B – Construction
C – Fittings
D – Decoration
E – Boats
F – Armament
G – Masts and Yards
H – Rigging and Sails

IMG_28791.jpg IMG_28801.jpg

Review:

I want to make it short.....It is one of the best Anatomy books published until now. The drawings, especially showing the details in rigging are of high quality.
The team of Bellabarba and his draughtsman Osculati, in normal life an Architect, produced a very good and complete documentation.
Therefore I fully recommend this book everybody who wants to build a model of the Royal Caroline, either the Panart-kit in scale 1:47 (especially her it is necessary and a must), or the chinese kit from ZHL in scale 1:30 (see the logs of @Peglegreg, @Brian077 and @Maarten)

IMG_28811.jpg IMG_28821.jpg

IMG_28831.jpg IMG_28841.jpg

IMG_28851.jpg IMG_28861.jpg

More Look Inside photos you can find in the following post

hello Uwe, a question ... do you not have messchien in your collection of books one of Björn Landström and Erich Gröner (das schiff)? where he does the description of the Flemish galleon, have looked in amazon but there he is with 3 books
Greetings
willy

hello Uwe, a question ... do you not have messchien in your collection of books one of Björn Landström and Erich Gröner (das schiff)? where he does the description of the Flemish galleon, have looked in amazon but there he is with 3 books
Greetings
willy
according my list of books:
I have the book "Das Schiff - Vom Einbaum zum Atomboot - Rekonstruktionen in Bild und Wort"
and also
"Da skibene forte sejl - fra papyrusbade til fuldriggere" (translated something like "When the ships sailed - from papyrus boat to fullriggers" by Björn Landström.
I will look for it during weekend

There is a anothe book and planset from Murcie or something like that ,supposed to be more compleat.

Zoltan

Greetings
willy
Here we are......... unfortunately it is only described on two pages of the book and remember, that the book is first published at 1961, so older than me.
Also unfortunately I have only the german version of the book.
Landström is writing, that this (his) reconstruction shown in the book is based on the dimensions made by Mathew Baker. Do you now already in which document Baker mentioned them? Maybe I can also help here, because I have also some primary sources.......
For everybody interested: Baker was a famous master shipwright of the Tudor period (King Henry) and the first putting the lines on paper and not only on the floor. He was the big competitor better rival to the Pett family in the same "business".

IMG_29291.jpg IMG_29281.jpg

IMG_29261.jpg IMG_29271.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_29261.jpg
    IMG_29261.jpg
    270.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_29271.jpg
    IMG_29271.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_29281.jpg
    IMG_29281.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_29291.jpg
    IMG_29291.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 8
Many thanks for the hint. He used the Landström drawing, which I showed, and in addition a model in the museum in Madrid.....beautiful model....

refering Caroline or the flämisch galleon?[/QUOTE]

I must have confused it with something else Lol

Back