Bowsprit and Jibboom

Hi, my name is Bob I'm having trouble with the size and lenth of the Bowsprit and Jibboom. Its the Rattlesnake 1/64 I've tried the build logs but they are old. I'm kind new to this and leaning that the Rattlesnake was a bad choice for first time ,the in instruction are no help .

What specific issue are you having in size and length with these two items.

I have a Rattlesnake kit and can look what my plans show and say.

Also welcome to the forum.

What part of the US are you from?

Hi, my name is Bob I'm having trouble with the size and lenth of the Bowsprit and Jibboom. Its the Rattlesnake 1/64 I've tried the build logs but they are old. I'm kind new to this and leaning that the Rattlesnake was a bad choice for first time ,the in instruction are no help .
Are you building the Mamoli version or the Model Shipways ?

Here maybe our member @Model Shipways can directly help

But take also a look at Daves post showing the Hahn drawings

also maybe interesting, but not solcing the actual question.....

There are two contemporary drawings of the Rattlesnake and Cormorant existing

j5106.jpg

j5107.jpg

Cormorant (captured 1781)​

Scale: 1:48. Plan showing the body plan, stern board outline with decoration detail, sheer lines with inboard detail and figurehead, and longitudinal half-breadth for Cormorant (captured 1781), a captured American privateer, as fitted at Plymouth dockyard as a 12-gun Ship Sloop.

Signed by John Henslow [Master Shipwright, Plymouth Dockyard, 1775-1784]

Reverse: Quarterdeck, forecastle, upper deck and fore & aft plaforms with table of Mast and Yard dimenions for Cormorant (captured 1781).

I looked at my plans and instructions for the Model Shipways kit I have and it states the plans are show full size for scale, you just need to find them on the plans and measure length from the plans.

Not always the easiest way to cut and shape them, but it is what you get for cost of the kit.

Bob Hunt runs a website called Lauck Street Shipyards LLC, and he sell a practicum on the Rattlesnake that has much more detail and info on construction and rigging.

Here is an example of how detailed his practicums get on the many kits.

"1.1.4 The Bowsprit
The bowsprit consists of the bowsprit and the jib boom. They are joined with a
cap.
The bowsprit is 5 1/16" long. It should fit the hole you drilled in the bow of the
ship earlier, making it approximately 1/4" in diameter. It sits on top of the main
deck. The end that sits on the deck is sanded flat. Photo P1.1.4-1 shows the
bowsprit with jib boom before the bees have been added."

You can reach him at: http://www.lauckstreetshipyard.com/contact.htm

@lauckstreet is Bobs SOS login, if you want to send him an PM online.

I looked at my plans and instructions for the Model Shipways kit I have and it states the plans are show full size for scale, you just need to find them on the plans and measure length from the plans.

Not always the easiest way to cut and shape them, but it is what you get for cost of the kit.
Thanks for the help.

I agree! I am in the beginning stages of building a rattlesnake by Mamoli . The correlation between the parts, and the print is exasperating . The castings provided are just pitiful. Trying to find someone who has overcome some of the obstacles of building this model is hard to come by. I know this doesn’t help you, but I want you to know I have the same concerns and resolving some of the issues of my build also. But our tenacity will prevail

also maybe interesting, but not solcing the actual question.....

There are two contemporary drawings of the Rattlesnake and Cormorant existing

View attachment 415222

View attachment 415223

Cormorant (captured 1781)​

Scale: 1:48. Plan showing the body plan, stern board outline with decoration detail, sheer lines with inboard detail and figurehead, and longitudinal half-breadth for Cormorant (captured 1781), a captured American privateer, as fitted at Plymouth dockyard as a 12-gun Ship Sloop.

Signed by John Henslow [Master Shipwright, Plymouth Dockyard, 1775-1784]

Reverse: Quarterdeck, forecastle, upper deck and fore & aft plaforms with table of Mast and Yard dimenions for Cormorant (captured 1781).

Hallo @Bob C
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back