Bowsprit hoops/collar assembly

Pwh

Is there a technique or tool to making hoops or collars ? I tried bending the thin brass strip around a nail but they don't end up as perfectly round. I see there are bending pliers for jewelry but not sure they would work on strips 2mm wide.

Heat the brass with a butane or propane torch flame until it ALMOST glows, then dip in cold water. It will bend like butter. Be careful not to overheat and melt the part, since small parts heat up very quickly. Clean off any oxides on the surface and you're good. If the brass part is supposed to simulate iron, apply brass blackening solution to darken it.

I don’t have the experience of most others, but I bought many sizes of thin brass tubing. Most the time I can find a size to fit (and saw a thin piece off). I use needle nose pliers to square the tubing if square is required. Just an option that might work.

I have used the various tools such as illustrated above to bend both wire and strips into loops and all work very well. I currently have the bending pliers illustrated above. In addition, I have not felt the need to heat treat the brass before bending as the sizes and gauges I have used all bend easily using the tools. I also suggest you rummage around the jewelry making section of your craft store (I do so at Joann’s Fabric and Craft store while my spouse shops for quilting fabric). There are a lot of jewelry parts that can be used in ship modeling…loops, hooks, pins, etc. There is always an extensive supply of brass wire used in making jewelry in various colors and gauges available as well although I favor the black. Jewelry tools work very well in model shipbuilding. Pick and choose as you see what works. I also highly recommend this bending tool from Amazon.com. I have three sizes of this plier as well and to be honest they are my go to tool for looping wire or strips.

The Beadsmith Concave (Hollow)/Round Nose Piers – Wire Looping and Wire Bending Plier – 5 inches (127mm) – Steel Head & Double Leaf Springs – European Design & Quality – Tool for Jewelry Making​

Last edited:
In addition to all the other good ideas, also to Fletch - good idea - I would have never thought of that one. I have thought about getting a torch. Has anyone tried one of the mini torches? I was wondering if this would work.

1678552595764.png

The mini torch provides a lot of heat quickly, I've used it for soldering larger brass items and it works well. I never tried to anneal brass.

Back