Bowsprit lashinng

Pwh

How is the bowsprit lower mast and jib-boom normally lashed together. See attached picture. Is it simply wrapped around and the ends tucked in or are the masts wrapped in a figure 8 and then seized in the middle with a thinner thread?

Attachments

• IMG_1251.jpg
    IMG_1251.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 52
How is the bowsprit lower mast and jib-boom normally lashed together. See attached picture. Is it simply wrapped around and the ends tucked in or are the masts wrapped in a figure 8 and then seized in the middle with a thinner thread?
That lashing is the GAMMON and depending upon the ship, era, and rigging yard you will see variations. I would suggest to Google it up with the emphasis upon your ship to see what you can find to better answer your question. In the schooners after 1850 this was a metal band/strap just in front of the stem above the cutwater bevel over the bowsprit and the two sides extending down the stem and fastened with nails/bolts. Rich (PT-2)

Looking at your drawing, I assume you mean the lashing between the bowsprit and the jib-boom.
You see that the spars are spaced by the bowsprit cap. There is also a chock or spacer at the foot of the jib-boom so the spars are parallel.
In this case there are two lashings, also called cruppers or sometimes woodlings. They are made by simply wrapping a rope around both spars seven or eight times, then tightened by wrapping a few turns (4 or 5) around the first ones between the spars.
The whole is stopped by simple half hitches.
There are a lot of other possible arrangements, and the drawing you show appears to be of quite a small vessel. I confess the lashing appears much smaller and single in most illustrations from my rigging manuals.

Back