Boxwood vs cherry?

talking about wood, the picture shows the wood used for a boat from Sea of Galilee carbon dated to about 2000 years ago. Now preserved, it can be seen in Ginosar ,Sea of Galilee (Kinneret),Israel. TView attachment 173198hey were obviously less fussy.
It may be that in finding wood for planks the adage "any port in a storm" may have applied but the video definitely keeps attention. Just be careful what species the fingers sample. PT-2

I won't get into the differences in woods because there are just too many opinions floating around and adding mine would not help or add clarity to the question. I would like to say this however; As far as wood species and characteristics go... with respect to ship modeling... I will defer to @Dave Stevens (Lumberyard), who seems to have a very good handle on the subject. My knowledge goes back 50+ years but is more generalized. Dave is far more current with respect to ship modeling than I am.

So, having said that, I would encourage everyone to go back to a more robust teaching thread that was posted here some time back, starting in May of 2018. Most questions will be answered there. Here is a link to that information:

Wood...Characteristics and Use...

Thanks Dave. I appreciate the effort.

Back