Braiding machine to make mooring hawser

Hello friends,
I present to you the braiding machine that I made using a 3D printer and a laser cutter. This machine produces braids of 8 threads (8x1 or 4x2) with or without core.

Tresseuse-013.jpg

Tresseuse-015.jpg

Here are examples of produced braids:
Tresseuse-008.jpgTresseuse-017.jpg

I used FreeCAD to model this machine.

Tresseuse-009.jpgTresseuse-010.jpgTresseuse-011.jpgRoue dentée.jpgTresseuse-012.jpg

I posted a video of the machine in operation on Youtube:

Best regards,
Fred

Amazing work what you did.
Just a question, where do you need this for in our hobby of shipbuilding? I only know this to bind bundels of elektrical wire.

Hi Stephan,
The mooring lines of modern ships are often braids of four pairs of rope as you can see in these photos:

Brosen_cuma_gen_dabrowski.jpg

ES6WJfeXsAIuOGx.jpg

67-160120150658401-0026222217286912248107.jpg

It is to make these mooring lines that I built this machine.

Regards.
Fred

Hello friends,
I present to you the braiding machine that I made using a 3D printer and a laser cutter. This machine produces braids of 8 threads (8x1 or 4x2) with or without core.

Fred
Hello Fred
This is a terrific project , very well done. Was this your idea and design? I certainly would like to build one of these.

Thanks for introducing this idea.

Greg

Last edited:
Hello Greg,
For this project, I was inspired by 19th century braiding machines and also current machines that braid real ropes for large ships or for climbing ropes for example.
Here are two videos that I really liked:

see in particular at minute 4:00

Fred

Thanks for the explanation. I was thinking, did I miss something on my study to shipropes of the 17th century. Lol, they where used much later. But I like your machine. Nice work what you did there.

In the 1960's, on the aircraft carrier I served on, the mooring lines were a braided construction using both wire rope and natural fibre rope. Wish I had a picture of it. It was called "spring lay" and was used in larger diameters for hawsers.
EJ

Last edited:
On our 40 ft sailboat we use this sort of line for anchoring. It is very flexible and stows very compactly in the chain locker. Also easy on the hands and it is not too much hassle to splice. In US yachting it is referred to as "8-plait" . Fair winds.. Ed

Hello friends,

View attachment 295677

View attachment 295678

Here are examples of produced braids:
View attachment 295679View attachment 295680

View attachment 295687View attachment 295688View attachment 295689View attachment 295690View attachment 295691

Best regards,
Fred
Hallo Fred alias @Fred P.
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Hello friends,

Here are examples of produced braids

Best regards,
Fred
Hallo @Fred P.
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back