Brainstorm rating system

I don't believe it is possible to have a rating system that would be suitable for everyone evaluating a kit.

Nor do I my friend, nor do I. It’s completely impossible to do that.

Yet I’m finding it fascinating talking about WHY it’s impossible and discovering some of the possibly infinite reasons we each decide which kits we prefer to play with.

Searching for the answers to impossible questions - I think we might be doing Modelling Philosophy 101 here. ;)

Well at least we agree on one thing......

Personally I see it as an academic exercise for those who are so inclined. Myself, I have other things to occupy my time.

You are right again. I’ve been chatting too long here. It’s time I went to build my model, which is another academic exercise which I am inclined to pursue.

Perhaps that’s our next question, “What is the point of building any model when they will all probably be dust in a hundred years?

Does that deserve another thread? ROTF

Here’s a few thoughts.

Possible Criteria:

Cost
Accuracy
Ease of construction
Quality of materials
Quality of instructions and plans
Building method
Historical period
Type of vessel
Size of kit
Scale
Availability (new or second hand)
Date of kit design
I think you need quality of parts. Some blocks and molded parts are much better than others.

Maybe we need a ship modelling version of Yelp. We could call it "Help"? If you amass enough reviews with starred ratings, you can get an overview right from the start and then pick through the ratings for the cranks and the overly effusive.

If you ask me, the build logs are more than sufficient to determine if a model is worth the purchase price and all the other stuff.
I would not use this rating system at all.
I find great use out of the unboxing videos since it shows me what the kit looks like.

Last edited:
Maybe a section for threads on different kits with comments from people that completed or completely gave up on a kit? You could provide them with a quick set of points they should touch on.

One thing I would like to see in a model is lots of unattached accessories. The spare spars , sweeps, gun tools, the thousand and one bits and pieces that would set the scent for figures.

My weighting for additional niff-naff and trivia would be very high.

Many Naval Architects, myself included, build ship models. For many of us this is a serious effort to memorialize an engineering profession with an interesting and colorful history. I therefore, do not understand the willingness for ship modelers to shell out $$$$ for kits that do not result in historically accurate models.

So, what constitutes an historically accurate ship model. Comments by two well known Naval Architects may be of interest:

L. Francis Herreshoff, son of the great Nathanial Herreshoff:
Herreshoff writes that the basis for any worthwhile model is a hull, accurately carved to match the lines of the vessel being modeled. He even says that a model with misshapen hull “is an evil thing” as it will mislead those who study it in the future. He is also of the opinion that rigging a ship model is a waste of time as the heart of the model is its hull.

Howard I. Chapelle:
In his writings, Chapelle agrees that the basis of a good ship model is an accurate set of hull lines, and he cautions modelers not to reconstruct these. He goes on to list deck arrangement and color scheme as important items to be accurately represented. With regard to details, he proposes that reconstruction is allowed as long as they were in use at the time of the vessel being modeled.

My opinion: wooden sailing ships were crafted by artisans, most of whom were ignorant of formal engineering design procedures but successful ones had a good eye, capable of forming graceful hulls. For these old ships certain features stand out. For example, the counter sterns of late Nineteenth Century American Pilot and fishing schooners were distinctive ( and quite lovely). When I look at a model, my eye is drawn to these distinctive features to see if they are modeled correctly. This should be a minimum standard for any kit.

Roger
True in many genre's of modeling. Some want to build it as accurate as possible myself included others just want to build a nice ship, plane, car, whatever. For me the joy is in the process once Im done, yes I may be proud that I did a good job and as accurate as possible but when the build is over I don't even need to see it again. People build for many reasons. To argue there are right and wrong ways is fruitless. People build as they please and no one is going to change that.

True in many genre's of modeling. Some want to build it as accurate as possible myself included others just want to build a nice ship, plane, car, whatever. For me the joy is in the process once Im done, yes I may be proud that I did a good job and as accurate as possible but when the build is over I don't even need to see it again. People build for many reasons. To argue there are right and wrong ways is fruitless. People build as they please and no one is going to change that.

Nor do I! I thought I was the only one who thought like this. I don't even keep my models. If I did there would be no room in the apartment for me. Once they get dusty and a few bits fall off, I give them away or bust them up for spares. As the philosopher B Ferry said, "It's finding, not keeping, that's the measure." Making the models is my hobby not admiring them afterwards.

Maybe another ROTF criterion should be recyclability.

Other people's attitudes towards their completed models are mostly different to mine and I have absolutely no wish to change or challenge that.

Last edited:
Not everyone has the same goals in ship modeling. I like to brush paint and all my models (so far) are painted. While I greatly admire the skill it takes to plank built up models with accurate plank butts and bungs and leaving them unfinished or clear coated, I still love to paint — and with as close to historically correct colors as I can achieve. So there!
Mike

I don't think a rating system is feasible for a number of reasons. First of all, how do you compare a kit for a schooner to say, a kit for the Victory? Secondly, quality varies with price paid. If someone does not want to spend more than a certain amount for a kit, they should not be discouraged by a poor rating. And lastly, and perhaps most important, model makers have different standards. Some are satisfied with nothing but the most historical accuracy possible and others are hobbyists who are happy to just to turn a box of sticks into the picture on the box. Given the range of objectives, I don't believe it is possible to have a rating system that would be suitable for everyone evaluating a kit.
Amen to different standards!

Would that be like all the books I buy at the local bookstore because they give my dog treats?
Books are a different breed of animals; Books are the subject of invaluable information, sometimes, a single paragraph can cost more than 100 books altogether, I am still buying books for my library, as you never know the information, they may have while researching. ;)

Back