Brig Le FAVORI 1806 M1:55

Hello Kortes, great result.
The old familiar is often the better way.
I have two questions:
In a previous post you oiled your deck, how does the glue hold when you install all the deck superstructure, or what kind of glue do you use to make it hold well.
Secondly, what wood did you use for the boat, is it hornbeam?

Greetings, dear Tobias according to theory and experience, the oil will polymerize after a while, the main thing is to give it some time. I hope to glue it with regular PVA. In any case, I succeeded on "Hyacinth". As a last resort I will use pins.
The wood on the boat is black and yellow hornbeam.

IMG_0897.JPG

Very good planking job on this small boat - sometimes it is good to know a working method on which you can go back to get a requested result

So that is not the natural color then? What are you using on this wood. Paint or stain?

So that is not the natural color then? What are you using on this wood. Paint or stain?
Hallo The learner. Some time ago, I bought a block of painted hornbeam and now I’m slowly using it. Chemical coloring of wood is a rather complicated process, I don’t know how to make it at home. I think it’s better to buy it from the professionals.

IMG_9364.JPG

I have never seen yellow hornbeam as bulk timber, dyed veneers yes, but nothing else since impregnation to that level of depth is a slow process even under pressure. I do wonder if this might be European/Chinese Berberis (AKA Dogwood) which is naturally bright yellow - but no worse for that. The US version of dogwood is not yellow but pale brown btw.

I can assure you that this is a horn beam. And it has been dyed till its deepest. I have never seen the barbaris wood. It would,be interesting to see. To my point if view the wood is usually chosen within the area of living of a modelist. In my region the pear wood is quite common, in another region the boxwood is avsilable in the quantities one can only dream of. My very best regards

IMG_1019.JPG

Back