bristol channel pilot cutter "MASCOTTE"

Despite living in the heart of "cutter country" l have been unable to source any drawings for this vessel,she was the largest of the cutters and worked out of Barry and Newport,l was fortunate to have been part of her crew on one momentous occaision!!!,l am now looking for the needed drawings/plans etc to allow me to build her in model form,l have been able to locate lots of photographs of her,but no sign of even a set of lines drawings or (prefferably) a scale plan,so,if anyone can help move my project forward please can you make contact??,thanks in advance.jack.

have you tried srmbc.org, Allan Reade, Mascotte cutter? He has done a scale build based on plans so should be able to offer advice? Allan's model is based on a plastic 1:16 pilot cutter hull from Kingston Mouldings. I don't know whether this is true to Mascotte's hull?1712492160067.png

Last edited:
Hello bob,just followed up on your post,sad to report that allan has passed away,last month l believe,his son is looking for buyers for his models if you or anyone is interested,jack.

Hello bob,just followed up on your post,sad to report that allan has passed away,last month l believe,his son is looking for buyers for his models if you or anyone is interested,jack.
Sad news. He built Mascotte from plans so there are some somewhere. There are pilot cutter plans on google images, I've got a few downloads but they need drawing to scale of course. You could possibly find similar to Mascott unless you're going for total authenticity?
I was planning to scratch build but I've decided on HM Rev. cutter Skylark instead. I reckon I have enough in the pipeline for now! But thanks.
On images, you'll have to wade through them, there's a company that sells plans for about a tenner, I can't remember their name I'm afraid. I'm pretty sure they do a cutter.

Hi bob,mascotte was the biggest of the cutters at 60ft long,l am still searching,to my knowledge there are no actual model plans in existence,but l cannot understand why l cant find her lines drawings,these are availiable for lots of the other cutters but not for mascotte,seems wierd somehow,if l can ever locate lines drawings for her, l will draw up a set of plans for the model and make them availiable on this and other sites,l have made contact with TOMMI NIELSEN AT GLOUCESTER DOCKS her in the uk,she used to over winter there and receive any maintenance needed,so l am hoping this might prove successful,Tony Winter used to own her but l dont know who has her now,all the best,jack.

Back