Buckler's Hard, Hampshire, England

I recently visited Buckler's Hard, originally called Montagu Town. It was built by the second Duke of Montagu, and was intended to be a free port for trade with the West Indies. Its geography also favoured the development of shipbuilding, as the hamlet possessed access to a sheltered but navigable waterway with gravel banks capable of supporting slipways for vessel construction and launch. Timber for hulls was also readily available from the surrounding New Forest.

Shipbuilding at Buckler's Hard commenced in the early eighteenth century. A private shipyard adjoining the hamlet was established and won a contract to build the Navy ship HMS Surprise in 1744, and subsequently another, HMS Scorpion, at Buckler's Hard. After the completion of the initial ships Buckler's Hard won subsequent Royal Navy contracts. Over the following sixty years, 43 Royal Navy ships were built at Buckler's Hard, including three that fought at the Battle of Trafalgar in 1805: HMS Euryalus, HMS Swiftsure, and HMS Agamemnon.

Shipbuilding at Buckler's Hard declined in the nineteenth century. During World War II, the village was used to build motor torpedo boats, and the river was a base for hundreds of landing craft for the Normandy invasion, Operation Overlord. Today the hamlet is given over to tourism, with a small maritime museum and a modern yachting marina. Buckler's Hard was where Sir Francis Chichester began and finished his solo voyage around the world in the Gipsy Moth IV.

There is an interesting museum detailing the history of Buckler's Hard and well worth a visit if you are in the area. I have attached a few images from my visit for those that are interested, including a number of model ships.

klyall_endeavour masts_1.jpg

klyall_endeavour masts_2.jpgklyall_endeavour masts_3.jpgklyall_endeavour masts_4.jpg

klyall_endeavour masts_5.jpgklyall_endeavour masts_6.jpg

klyall_endeavour masts_7.jpgklyall_endeavour masts_8.jpg
klyall_endeavour masts_15.jpgklyall_endeavour masts_17.jpg
klyall_endeavour masts_9.jpgklyall_endeavour masts_10.jpg
klyall_endeavour masts_11.jpgklyall_endeavour masts_12.jpg
klyall_endeavour masts_13.jpgklyall_endeavour masts_14.jpg

klyall_endeavour masts_16.jpg

Thank you for sharing Kieth, it is a very nice place to visit, it also has a vintage car museum, or at least it did have, we lived just up the road a bit at Langley Blackfield before we emigrated to Australia,

best regards john.

Thank you for sharing Kieth, it is a very nice place to visit, it also has a vintage car museum, or at least it did have, we lived just up the road a bit at Langley Blackfield before we emigrated to Australia,

best regards john.
No worries John & Ian. Thought it would be of interest to SOS regulars. At my current build speed I think they built the real ship quicker than me.
ps. Did not have time to visit the car museum … another days perhaps.

I recently visited Buckler's Hard, originally called Montagu Town. It was built by the second Duke of Montagu, and was intended to be a free port for trade with the West Indies. Its geography also favoured the development of shipbuilding, as the hamlet possessed access to a sheltered but navigable waterway with gravel banks capable of supporting slipways for vessel construction and launch. Timber for hulls was also readily available from the surrounding New Forest.

Shipbuilding at Buckler's Hard commenced in the early eighteenth century. A private shipyard adjoining the hamlet was established and won a contract to build the Navy ship HMS Surprise in 1744, and subsequently another, HMS Scorpion, at Buckler's Hard. After the completion of the initial ships Buckler's Hard won subsequent Royal Navy contracts. Over the following sixty years, 43 Royal Navy ships were built at Buckler's Hard, including three that fought at the Battle of Trafalgar in 1805: HMS Euryalus, HMS Swiftsure, and HMS Agamemnon.

Shipbuilding at Buckler's Hard declined in the nineteenth century. During World War II, the village was used to build motor torpedo boats, and the river was a base for hundreds of landing craft for the Normandy invasion, Operation Overlord. Today the hamlet is given over to tourism, with a small maritime museum and a modern yachting marina. Buckler's Hard was where Sir Francis Chichester began and finished his solo voyage around the world in the Gipsy Moth IV.

There is an interesting museum detailing the history of Buckler's Hard and well worth a visit if you are in the area. I have attached a few images from my visit for those that are interested, including a number of model ships.

View attachment 365213

View attachment 365210View attachment 365212View attachment 365211

View attachment 365205View attachment 365214

View attachment 365209View attachment 365208
View attachment 365199View attachment 365198
View attachment 365207View attachment 365206
View attachment 365204View attachment 365203
View attachment 365202View attachment 365201

View attachment 365200
THANX for a ship modeler's view of a famous seaport and building center.

View attachment 365213

View attachment 365200
Thank you for sharing!

I didn't know of this, so thanks Keith, an addition for our next visit to the New Forest. On a tangent, how do you watermark your photos?
Hi Kevin, definitely well worth the visit and very interesting, even for group members not interested in ship building & models. For the watermark I used Photoshop to create the watermark with text on a transparent background. Then using Lightroom during Export I selected a Graphic watermark and selected the previously created image.

Ahh, I see. Asking because I can enter copyright info into my camera (Olympus OM-D E-M5ii) but have yet to figure out how to get that imprinted on the pictures. This isn't important, it was just a feature I noticed that piqued my curiosity.
Hi Kevin, the camera copyright message is added to your image metadata and then is used when exporting jpegs. In Lightroom there have been issues for some time where the copyright does not get attached. As such all I do is create my own custom text copyright message and location which can be attached by selecting watermark in LR export.

One day I'll have to find and learn a good free package for picture management and editing, though right now that's a low priority. I must be getting old, I'm starting to feel wistful for the days when the only problem was how to catalogue and store all those negs and transparencies :). It somehow seemed easier than today, when I swear you could spend your entire life just learning software!

View attachment 365213

View attachment 365200
Thanks for that Keith. I live not too far away near Salisbury so a visit there is now definitely in my planning. I've long known of the motor museum and intend to visit but hadn't heard of this. Your photos are superb.

Thanks Keith for sharing your trip with all of us. I enjoyed reading about the history of the ships produced there. Very historic location. Magic Mike

Back