Build Log: Artesania Latina 1805 Swift Virginia Pilot Boat

This is my first attempt at building a model ship and although I have a background in woodworking, the scale is a bit different! I’m very much a “newby” at this. So, have patience.

This is a “build log” for the Artesania Latina 1805 Swift Virginia Pilot Boat. I picked this as it was recommended as a good place for a newby to start...hmmm.

I will begin by giving a review of the materials. I don’t have a prior kit to compare with but here’s my observations of what AL sent: Everything was there according to the parts list and appears to be in good condition (with one exception I’ll discuss below). All the “documentation” is contained on a CD. Some my be disappointed, but I printed off everything (yep, used a bit of printer ink). That’s the only downside I can see at this point. But, on the computer, you can expand the images quite a bit before they pixelate and see details close up. I think this will be helpful because there is no verbal description in the instructions of how to do the rigging – just pictures. I’ve read through all the instructions (several times) and they seem OK but this is my first time so we’ll see. The CD also contains some interesting videos on (for example) tapering a mast. I think a lot more videos would be super particularly for us newbys.

There were a few issues: First, even though the parts list indicates the walnut is 0.6 and 0.5mm, my caliper indicates at most 0.5 and 0.4mm respectively. Probably no big deal, but…

Second, this kit does NOT provide for double planking of the hull, even though some places I read indicated it did. I was looking forward to that. The instructions specify painting the hull after single planking. I WILL BE double planing which means I’ll be buying some walnut and I’ll be staining it (I feel wood ships should show the wood with some notable exceptions – eg HMS Victory, she must be painted black!)

The last issue (so far) was much more serious. The main (keel?) bulkhead was extremely warped. I tried everything I could think of to straighten it: dry clamping – nope; hot water soak then clamping – nope; hot water soak then ironing (much to my wife’s amusement) and clamping – this worked for a while but the warp came back. I gave up! The darn thing just would not straighten. I thought about a trip to the hobby store for a piece of plywood but opted against it for the “experience.” So, I carefully glued up all the hull bulkheads square to the main bulkhead in spite of the warp (see picture).

By the way, I found some 90-degree “square” pieces of aluminum 1”x1.5”x1” in the deck-hardware section of Fleet Farm but probably available in any hardware department. I tuned them exactly square with a vice and machinists square and a hammer – they worked GREAT for clamping the hull bulkheads to the main bulkhead! And, they are non-porous so the glue does not adhere. I think they cost about 50-cents each.

Anyway, after gluing all the bulkheads together, I carefully measured the distance between each hull bulkhead and cut 1/4”x1/4” balsa spacers carefully sanded them to the exact size and glued them between each hull bulkhead on both the port and starboard sides (see next picture). Then, as I glued the sub-deck to the main bulkhead I clamped the stern portion of the keel bulkhead straight (see picture).

Also, serendipitously, it appears that the balsa spacers will give me clamping purchase for gluing the sub-deck to the hull bulkheads as the deck slopes in multiple directions. I’m not sure how I would do that without the spacers. Sometimes you just get lucky – but well see.

That’s all for now. I’ll update this when I get to the next “pausing point.” But I have a LOT of yard work to do over the next few weeks, so be patient. Comments solicited and very much welcomed.

IMG_1502.JPGIMG_1501.JPGIMG_1500.JPG

My first build is the Swift. It is amazing how that kit has evolved through the years. I purchased this kit in 1983. It came with a couple of drawings and some cryptic instructions. I decided to complete it here during the pandemic. I located the Artesania Latina website which had a downloadable set of instruction. Once reading through them, it was almost like plans for a different vessel. The sequence of steps in my kit and the online plans were completely different. Many parts had been replaced with different ones. I also reached out to SL via email. I got zip back in the way of a response. Good luck on the build.

Mike

I've had VERY LITTLE time to work on the Swift. Working 3-days a week, obligations at least 2 nights a week and TONS of yard work this time of year on the house and at our cabin doesn't leave much spare time. Also, "She-who-must-be-obeyed" has had a couple of minor surgeries and I get to do the housework and cook (well, go get take-out). So, progress on the Swift is proceeding at a glacial pace. When asked recently, "When will it be done?" My answer was, "It's the journey not the destination!"

Anyway, below are a some pictures. The deck went on with no problems, and I completed the bow and stern filler blocks although there is nothing about them in the instructions. But seeing other build logs and some difficulties others have had with hull planking, I thought it made sense and I'm obviously in no hurry. I used several pieces of 1/4" balsa and wood filler. After the glue dried I sanded them down with a Dremel tool and then fine-tuned the profiles with 150 grit sandpaper. This being my first build, I will likely try a few things that may not be in the instructions just to get the experience (like double planking the hull.)

In response to Ret-Navy: Yes, it seems this kit has gone through substantial evolution (or should I say devolution) over time. I would have liked to get the Swift kit with the two decks, but it was not available any more (at a reasonable price.) I even saw one Swift somewhere with a couple of canons (on a pilot boat!??). Thanks for noticing what I'm doing and for your comments and good luck with your build.

A questions for those more experienced (which is everyone): Is it wise to stain the basswood (I think) deck planking before installation (say, teak or light oak), then apply pencil to the edges to simulate caulking, then glue up, or does this lead to messes or problems down-stream? Any advice would sincerely be appreciated.

The next steps will be to apply some temporary hull battens, true the bulkheads and start the first layer of hull planking. It is great to "escape" to my Swift for a few minutes and put the rest of life on hold for a while.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    210.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    148.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    198.7 KB · Views: 15
The Swift kit I have also came with a couple of cannons. It did have the material for double planking. As I get toward the end of the parts being used, I am noticing there a some parts that appear nowhere on the parts list or on the drawings. There are some odd-shaped pieces of walnut and a couple of brass traps. I did find that the kit came with two display platforms. One set of keel holders is made of wood (walnut. maybe). Before I said " thank you, AL" I noticed that a considerable amount of work on the keel would have to be done before these holders would fit. I also received a very nice walnut base along with brass holders ( this was an advertised bonus from AL).

Mike

Вопрос для более эффективных (а это всех): разумно ли окрашивать дощатый настил палубы из липы (скажем, тик или светлый дуб), нанести карандаш на опыт края, чтобы имитировать конопатку, приклеить, или это приводит к беспорядкам или проблемам в дальнейшем? Любой совет будет искренне признателен.
Боб, нет смысла красить основание настила, если сверху положить дубовые или тиковые доски. Но имитация конопатки карандашом - это хорошо.

Спасибо за ответ. Я с нетерпением жду возможности увидеть, как сработает карандаш для конопатки.

This is my first attempt at building a model ship and although I have a background in woodworking, the scale is a bit different! I’m very much a “newby” at this. So, have patience.

This is a “build log” for the Artesania Latina 1805 Swift Virginia Pilot Boat. I picked this as it was recommended as a good place for a newby to start...hmmm.

I will begin by giving a review of the materials. I don’t have a prior kit to compare with but here’s my observations of what AL sent: Everything was there according to the parts list and appears to be in good condition (with one exception I’ll discuss below). All the “documentation” is contained on a CD. Some my be disappointed, but I printed off everything (yep, used a bit of printer ink). That’s the only downside I can see at this point. But, on the computer, you can expand the images quite a bit before they pixelate and see details close up. I think this will be helpful because there is no verbal description in the instructions of how to do the rigging – just pictures. I’ve read through all the instructions (several times) and they seem OK but this is my first time so we’ll see. The CD also contains some interesting videos on (for example) tapering a mast. I think a lot more videos would be super particularly for us newbys.

There were a few issues: First, even though the parts list indicates the walnut is 0.6 and 0.5mm, my caliper indicates at most 0.5 and 0.4mm respectively. Probably no big deal, but…

Second, this kit does NOT provide for double planking of the hull, even though some places I read indicated it did. I was looking forward to that. The instructions specify painting the hull after single planking. I WILL BE double planing which means I’ll be buying some walnut and I’ll be staining it (I feel wood ships should show the wood with some notable exceptions – eg HMS Victory, she must be painted black!)

The last issue (so far) was much more serious. The main (keel?) bulkhead was extremely warped. I tried everything I could think of to straighten it: dry clamping – nope; hot water soak then clamping – nope; hot water soak then ironing (much to my wife’s amusement) and clamping – this worked for a while but the warp came back. I gave up! The darn thing just would not straighten. I thought about a trip to the hobby store for a piece of plywood but opted against it for the “experience.” So, I carefully glued up all the hull bulkheads square to the main bulkhead in spite of the warp (see picture).

By the way, I found some 90-degree “square” pieces of aluminum 1”x1.5”x1” in the deck-hardware section of Fleet Farm but probably available in any hardware department. I tuned them exactly square with a vice and machinists square and a hammer – they worked GREAT for clamping the hull bulkheads to the main bulkhead! And, they are non-porous so the glue does not adhere. I think they cost about 50-cents each.

Anyway, after gluing all the bulkheads together, I carefully measured the distance between each hull bulkhead and cut 1/4”x1/4” balsa spacers carefully sanded them to the exact size and glued them between each hull bulkhead on both the port and starboard sides (see next picture). Then, as I glued the sub-deck to the main bulkhead I clamped the stern portion of the keel bulkhead straight (see picture).

Also, serendipitously, it appears that the balsa spacers will give me clamping purchase for gluing the sub-deck to the hull bulkheads as the deck slopes in multiple directions. I’m not sure how I would do that without the spacers. Sometimes you just get lucky – but well see.

That’s all for now. I’ll update this when I get to the next “pausing point.” But I have a LOT of yard work to do over the next few weeks, so be patient. Comments solicited and very much welcomed.
Hallo @BobWillis
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

My first build is the Swift. It is amazing how that kit has evolved through the years. I purchased this kit in 1983. It came with a couple of drawings and some cryptic instructions. I decided to complete it here during the pandemic. I located the Artesania Latina website which had a downloadable set of instruction. Once reading through them, it was almost like plans for a different vessel. The sequence of steps in my kit and the online plans were completely different. Many parts had been replaced with different ones. I also reached out to SL via email. I got zip back in the way of a response. Good luck on the build.

Mike
Hello, I'm building the same Swift model but the earlier version. Dis your's come with a display stand

Back