Build log: Danmark

DomCee, Bluebeard, Darvis, thanks for the answers!

I will go for the satin paint. Just have to check if I can find the right acrylic car paint here. I use an acrylic wood primer so I hope that will work.

As for the replacing the plastic parts for wood. I think I can do this for the doors by using the small wooden strips for the planking. There are also parts that are difficult to replace. In the picture you see the wooden grates. I saw on the forum that Alpayed used a milling machine to copy this in wood see picture below). It looks great, but I don’t have a milling machine . Any ideas to produce these in an alternative way would be welcome. PS. I tried to paint the grates and doors with Talens oil paint to make them look a bit better, but the paint doesn’t stick to the plastic….(see the picture with the Van Gogh paint)

Best regards,

Ben

198E7E31-1494-4C86-8E30-BEA086A295AE.jpeg

DomCee, Bluebeard, Darvis, thanks for the answers!

I will go for the satin paint. Just have to check if I can find the right acrylic car paint here. I use an acrylic wood primer so I hope that will work.

As for the replacing the plastic parts for wood. I think I can do this for the doors by using the small wooden strips for the planking. There are also parts that are difficult to replace. In the picture you see the wooden grates. I saw on the forum that Alpayed used a milling machine to copy this in wood see picture below). It looks great, but I don’t have a milling machine . Any ideas to produce these in an alternative way would be welcome. PS. I tried to paint the grates and doors with Talens oil paint to make them look a bit better, but the paint doesn’t stick to the plastic….(see the picture with the Van Gogh paint)

Best regards,

Ben

View attachment 348327
Replace the gratings with these at Crafty Sailor. They are laser cut wood, and the best gratings I have ever seen.

Gratings at Crafty Sailor

Replace the gratings with these at Crafty Sailor. They are laser cut wood, and the best gratings I have ever seen.
Thanks for the tip Darvis. They look great. I searched the internet to see if you can make them, but looking at the price it is not worth the effort. Especially if you don’t have the electric tools.

I will pause now for this year, wish you a great 2023!

Just an update. I am waiting for the gratings from Crafty Sailors. In the meantime I have build wooden doors to avoid using the plastic doors that were in the kit. The pictures show the original plastic door, the other the wooden version. It is still a bit glossy although I used a mahogany satin primer primer. Maybe I should spray the with Vallejo satin vernis?
Also added another picture of a cabin with the wooden doors. Used some brass wire to imitate the door handles, I am not sure if that is the way they are in real live but it seemed nice to me . It is hard to find pictures of that cabin and I saw that the Danmark has steel doors now.

277E0A79-AB53-4CAD-9BBE-3C1DD82B889A.jpeg

10DE8CD9-21BD-4B0B-8D4D-E533D1F135C6.jpeg

B677BD9D-B5FA-4B7B-B1E5-B9D2873C53C0.jpeg

94FE236B-49E8-4D1D-B51B-DDEDF351924E.jpeg

Here are some first pictures of the Billing Boats kit of the Danmark. A project that has been on hold for almost 30 years. I have finished the decks and started with planking the hull. I am quite satisfied with the result as it is my first kit (maybe I should have started with a more simpler kit), but any comments, tips or tricks how to complete this process successfully are welcome. As for the parts 42 that have to be mounted at the inside ( see the last picture), what would be the best way ahead, drill the marked holes before or after glueing them on to the ship?
Hallo @BuilderBen
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back