Build Log - Heller 1:100 Scale Le Soleil Royal

Imagine that, I can't even write correctly with both hands and fingers:)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Lighting now installed on bottom two cannon decks , very effective especially when it's gone dark outside. Can change the colour and effects with the remote control pad , one flickering effect looks like the cannons are firing !! Very happy !! :):):)

Tacobey Led Fairy String Lights,16Colour Changing Decorative Waterproof String Lights​

lights1.jpg

If you finish it by Christmas time it will be your ''tree'' :))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Ahhhhh Jesus Mary and Joseph , the dreaded masts and rigging , (thanks for the warning GuyM) not going too badly , ordered some of what's known as "modellers licence" from Amazon and done what looks good good , and it is doing and I'm capable of doing with virtually one hand.
Revamped bowsprit , original just didn't look right somehow , used pulleys and blocks from an old Lego Flying Dutchman and built up a new one , looks good , well I think it does , I'm not a rivet counter , Foremast tomorrow onward and upward Thumbs-Up Pirate Flag Thumbs-Up Pirate Flag

One thing is for sure; you're doing that much much faster than me:)))))) I only have one side decorated and painted and still have to do the other before I start any type of assembly:))))))

A few more pics of progress , lighting all installed and looks A1 , masts ongoing :eek::eek: Rear fancy bits now all on along with rudder , unable to do them till the lighting was installed. Foremast done and ready for sails I found in a packet in the spare room , god knows which model they're from?? Found a tip on YouTube for soaking them in very hot water an 4 tea bags , give it a stir and leave for 20 mins , grand job !!!! The lads on the deck hung one of the officers from the bowsprit last night so they've been put on rations and I've stopped their rum ration for a week , couldn't get a picture of him think the phone camera don't do close ups they're coming out blurred.
Pics of the lights not too good , it was daylight , will take some at night tomorrow and try to get a close up of the hanging officer !!!20230606_201447[1].jpg20230606_201659[1].jpg20230606_201816[1].jpg20230606_202018[1].jpg20230606_202018[1].jpg20230606_202043[1].jpg20230606_201447[1].jpg20230606_201648[1].jpg20230606_201659[1].jpg

20230606_201842[1].jpg

Well, it does stand out:)))) A few questions now....Why all blue? why anchors hooked on the back? is the lighting generating heat?
The lighting looks quite strong; I hope it won't bend or melt the plastic over time....

GuyM , It's all blue coz I haven't painted the other stripes in yet , question for ye now , have you used an airbrush at all ? Do they do a fine line without bleeding over or do you still use masking tape ? With my slight "disability" lol ROTFROTFROTF I'm toying with the idea of getting one. anchors on the back because I think they look good , same with the fenders , I've never made models to satisfy anyone other than myself or strictly as per instruction book , bit of a rebel I'm afraid , if I think it looks ok that's good enough for me , I've seen modellers in youtube videos going on about loads of stuff on various subjects criticising a certain thing in the kit for being slightly overscale. Another fella ranting on and on about things not being like the real thing , It's NOT the real thing It's a model to do whatever you want with !! Modelling should be for fun in my opinion and I'm having a grand time building this one , It was always my intention to turn this one into a pirate ship , because I wanted to , simple as that and as I've said before I'm not a rivet counter. The lights generate very little heat and are not that bright in reality they were on for 4 hours when I first fitted them and were barely warm. My stuff is gradually taking over the kitchen table , the Mrs , or the domestic authority as I call her isn't that bothered bless her in fact she's quite supportive and interested if I run an idea past her , actually it's my birthday soon (65 :eek::(:eek::() , Wonder if she'll buy me an airbrush ???

Jaysus that's a long post , speak soon

Murph Ireland.jpg

I understood quite well from the beginning you would do your own thing:) And you are right about a kit must be to anyone's idea. I have read many, many blog sites and they do say a lot of things, most are not well informed. So, a few years ago I did my own research which, I thought would make a 10 to 20 page resume.......I'm at 108 pages......But, I learned many things, and 95% of what is believed in the blogs is ill informed:)))) This being said, I was asking why all blue, and not black, or dark brown, or light brown:))) don't tell me it's because the ship was blue because that isn't true:)))))) The document I have is unfortunately written in French language ( my main language) and if you read french, I'd be glad to send it over for your curiosity:))) in the meantime, this is where my research led me.....
I have never used a airbrush because I'm afraid of the paint fumes expanding all over the room over time:))) So, all I do is the old paintbrush way is my way, and I'm 63, so not far from you:))))))))))))))))))))
That being said, I do encourage you to go your own way and, more importantly, finish the ship:)))

IMG_4923.JPG

IMG_4926.JPG

Grand job there GuyM , I love the hull colour scheme , you're doing a brilliant job. Me Pirate figures still not arrived , but they are coming from Ukraine , Kiev actually , https://plastic-models-store.com/ If you're interested , How they are still doing business during the war is beyond me. Just wondering , have you ever visited The Emerald Isle ? or God's Country as it is known here ! At the top of the Ukranian website they have the following statement which made me laugh !!

WE ARE OPENED and SHIP ORDERS despite war.

We will bury all ruZZian dickheads into our fertile Ukrainian soil! This Autumn we will have a gorgeous harvest!

That makes me think of an old lady there at the very beginning of the war who confronted a soldier; she wanted to give him some seeds, and he kept rrefusing; then she told him to take the seeds and give them to his family, so they could plant them in his dead body when he is returned there and have a comemorative tree:)))))))))

She's arrived at 8:30 this morning couldn't believe the size of the box ,, Jesus it's huge !!!! Made wooden base for stand from an old shelf , made up the kit stand and attached it to base with wood screws , painted wood base matt black and kit stand gold , looks superb , not swore once all day whilst making hull up , which is unusual for me when I'm modelling. Made up figurehead and amazed meself at the grand paint job I made of it , paid €22 for a 10 set of quality brushes and they do make a difference , squirrel hair apparently , poor squirrels Very pleased with progress so far , drank far too much tea and ordered correct paint from a very good model shop in Dublin who does overnight delivery , watch this space
Hallo @Murph
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back