Build Log: HMS Grimsby

OK here goes my build log of the HMS Grimsby by Constructo, scale 1:65, POF. My first wood model in a very long time, previously building and flying balsa airplanes. But what the hey, my wife bought me the kit some years ago and now I have some time to take a shot at it. Disclaimer: I'm not a craftsman but will do my best with it and hope it helps someone (if only to avoid my mistakes). Any help along the way is welcome!grimsbyBox.jpggrimsbyPly.jpg

After gluing and a light shaping of the stem-head strips, positioned the ribs for gluing. BTW, I'm using Gorilla wood glue, seems fine for my purposes here. While I've used CA glues, the odor is really objectionable and if I need to use it, I do so in the garage. For now, I'm set up in the basement. The false deck had a little twisted warp in it, and with some rubber bands and a light spray with water, I got it to lay a little better in preparation for laying on the ribs.grimsbyRibs.jpggrimsbyWarp.jpg

Thanks, Bryian. Seems to be holding up so far. This jig is pretty much a one-off, I'll want something more adjustable for the rest of the fleet...

The plans suggest using a marker on the frames in advance of shaping, so here's a shot of the resulting mess after using 60 grit on a sanding block. Still lots more to go, and I'm checking progress with a plank to find any high/low spots. I think it'll work out. Next up: Finish shaping and then build a jig to bend the planks.PXL_20231026_164508951.jpg

Hi Captain. This brings back fond memories as it was my 1st 30 years ago. Using Grimsby as my starting point I've since built HMS Pandora, San Felipe and Wappen Von Hamburg. Goodluck and enjoy the journey!
Good to hear from you! Hope to be able to get similar results. Cheers

How old is that kit?
Looks like it's been cut from some beautiful plywood, maybe Baltic birch by virtue of the many veneer layers. I'd buy it just for that reason!
Per wolfxserver's post, sounds like at least 30 years. My wife spotted the kit at a hospital thrift shop about 15 years ago and bout it for $10. It's been sitting in my basement waiting for me to get up the nerve to start it. No dates on the box or plans but here's a list of the wood:
PXL_20231029_160018657.jpg

Hi Captain. This brings back fond memories as it was my 1st 30 years ago. Using Grimsby as my starting point I've since built HMS Pandora, San Felipe and Wappen Von Hamburg. Goodluck and enjoy the journey!
Captain, this brings back fond memories of a different Grimsby. I worked with the late Roger Grimsby in the 80’s. He was one of two main anchor men at WABC TV in New York and I had the opportunity to shoot a few series with him. He was quite a character on and off camera. They don’t make’em like that anymore.

OK here goes my build log of the HMS Grimsby by Constructo, scale 1:65, POF. My first wood model in a very long time, previously building and flying balsa airplanes. But what the hey, my wife bought me the kit some years ago and now I have some time to take a shot at it. Disclaimer: I'm not a craftsman but will do my best with it and hope it helps someone (if only to avoid my mistakes). Any help along the way is welcome!View attachment 402200View attachment 402201
Hallo @captaineddie
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back