Build Log: HMS Victory (de Agostini)

I collected the weekly parts from de Agostini a decade ago, made a start, put them aside when I got side-tracked building my new house and I picked it up again during the lockdown. I'm a little disappointed in my earlier handiwork but I'm hoping to rectify and reach the high standards of this illustrious website.
The hull planking is half done and and I've started the gun port frames. I shall post pics shortly.

A very good step, that you started already this building log - so we all looking forward to see your progress :cool:

Hull planking done. Some filling and sanding ahead.
is it best to leave varnishing for later? It looks a bit rough but I think it will clean up. Planking is tight, not too many gaps.
I’ve not kept a log of my time. Any suggestions how long this might have taken? I’m keeping a log now.
My home and workshop overlook Giba Gorge Nature Reserve, about 30 km from Durban, 2000 feet above sea level (excuse mixed units, South Africa metricated when I was a kid, so us oldies use both systems). Beautiful setting and described by National Geographic as one of the best climates in the world to live. Temps (in Centigrade) B5C15EAD-7A2F-4BDF-A292-7F04FE7C0E85.jpegare in the low 20’s in winter, upper 20’s in summer. Temps hardly ever exceed 30 or go below 10 degrees C. Rainfall most of the year but mainly in summer.A497DB85-AB33-4DB3-A139-8803AF5FB5F7.jpeg

Hello Denzil,
If you plan to plank the hull with the second layer, no need to seal nor varnish. If you do, you will have trouble gluing planks to the hull. However, if no desire for second\finshing planks, then you seal the wood before painting would be appropriate. Varnishing is done to protect the model, and usually when the hull finished as the last coat. :)

Great planking Denzil! :) Varnish and staining only happens right at the end when all the planking is done!

I collected the weekly parts from de Agostini a decade ago, made a start, put them aside when I got side-tracked building my new house and I picked it up again during the lockdown. I'm a little disappointed in my earlier handiwork but I'm hoping to rectify and reach the high standards of this illustrious website.
The hull planking is half done and and I've started the gun port frames. I shall post pics shortly.
Hallo @Denzil Bazley
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Hallo @Denzil Bazley
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back