Build log Revell 1/96 Constitution...or, a ship that could have been around in the early 1800's.

Slowly progressing but progressing none the less. The biggest visible thing is the stripe. I'd seen versions where the stripe was wider than the cannon ports and that's the path I followed. Still the rear side and rear windows to paint and some ocher detailing at the head.

XeyCBtt.jpeg

you can also see the rear piece (transom?) has been greatly simplified and modified. My idea is a business battleship with minimal embellishment, being a figure head. Hmmm...what's that lion doing there.....

Comments and observations welcome.

Changed the bow while I was at it, figuring if it's not the Constitution, why carry the same symbols and filigree on the beakhead. I filed, gouged, sanded, and finally got it to where i wanted it with the help of some styrene rod and a bit of tubing for the hawse holes.. Had to actually shorten this piece at the end due to a mishap with a sanding drum and dremel. Oh well, worked out ok. A bit more fine tuning and it should be presentable

HzENhgZ.jpeg

I made the hawse openings by heating the end of a piece of styrene tubing and gently pushing down on a metal surface. It gave me the round effect i was looking for. Sliced off and filed a bit, they fit ok.

zMQMDNj.jpeg

I should have posted this when doing the gun port inserts but better late than never....
The cannon port doors are a go on this ship, however, I thought they should have a 'stop' or reveal around the inner perimeter to match up with the insert in the hull openings. Here's what they look like

aQXQZgV.jpeg

I cut thin styrene into squares slightly smaller than the door width/height, sprayed black and highlighted the setback in red to match the opening's reveal on the cannon port. Not sure if I'm going to paint the door straps yet. We'll see.

I got the starboard side of the hull covered in copper foil. I was looking for advice on the best way to do this, and of the 90+ views I received, 1 replied, and his response was to paint it. Allan, I appreciate your input. In fact, I actually paint the hull copper before covering it with copper foil. Don't be misled by the finish on the keel as that area hasn't been burnished yet. I find the riveting/nailing as represented by Revell a bit overdone and thought this time I would do foil. I'm pleased with the muted texture so far.

2wLO8Re.jpeg

And old shot of one of the Connie's I had built -- this was obviously under construction. It was set out of the way while getting ready to move. Wasted effort :(

pzM7p0N.png

This is the more or less finished hull, just a small number of 'plates' to make and add to the keel section (cutwater?) at the bow. This photo is after a couple of light coats of Krylon matte clear.
5oF5bBg.jpeg

and the rest of it, the port side before the matte finish. Notice how it picks up the lines from the cutting mat. Also have the rudder to do. The rudder supports will be left copper - not black - per a photo of the real ship
0ETbNvu.jpeg

7j134MB.jpeg

Rudder, Captain's quarters, transom, and 30 cannon to build next.

I've given this industrial battleship a name. LION. Not sure if I'll include the HMS on the transom or not as Lion doesn't take up a whole lot of space by itself. I've reduced said transom to the bare essentials, a work in progress is in the photo below. A little more cleanup and it'll look ok.
P4KKscR.jpeg

and the name, well, I found this is a bag 'o jungle creature birthday toys at a dollar store. Off with his head! Still needs a bit of trimming and another coat of gold. Note the top of the beakhead needs final trimming also.

iq1NcYQ.jpeg

Thats all for now. Comments and observations welcome.

I've given this industrial battleship a name. LION. Not sure if I'll include the HMS on the transom or not as Lion doesn't take up a whole lot of space by itself. I've reduced said transom to the bare essentials, a work in progress is in the photo below. A little more cleanup and it'll look ok.
P4KKscR.jpeg

and the name, well, I found this is a bag 'o jungle creature birthday toys at a dollar store. Off with his head! Still needs a bit of trimming and another coat of gold. Note the top of the beakhead needs final trimming also.

iq1NcYQ.jpeg

Thats all for now. Comments and observations welcome.

No, they didn't sport HMS on the transom, just the ship's name.

Back