Build Log: "Skipjack" by Midwest

I'm a gluten for punishment often biting off more than I can chew. Not just in eating but model building as well. I have decided to build at the apprentice level (where I should be). Recently, I was rummaging a Antique/Flea market event and ran across an unopened "Skipjack" model. Nothing fancy but definitely a project to get the juices flowing again.

Nothing much to report with first few steps. Easy to remove pieces from sprue, minor blade work, a little touch up sanding and the haul takes form. I did spend some time mixing up acrylic was for the deck pieces. Measured 1/8" gaps and scored the wood three times with the blunt side of the exacto blade. Lightly sanded in the direct of the score marks with 500 grit SP then light brown acrylic paint applied with a paper towel.

Once again, It's good to be building again. Will return to the Connie project at some point.
Skipjack 1.jpegSkipjack 2.jpegSkipjack 3.jpeg

I'm a gluten for punishment often biting off more than I can chew. Not just in eating but model building as well. I have decided to build at the apprentice level (where I should be). Recently, I was rummaging a Antique/Flea market event and ran across an unopened "Skipjack" model. Nothing fancy but definitely a project to get the juices flowing again.

Nothing much to report with first few steps. Easy to remove pieces from sprue, minor blade work, a little touch up sanding and the haul takes form. I did spend some time mixing up acrylic was for the deck pieces. Measured 1/8" gaps and scored the wood three times with the blunt side of the exacto blade. Lightly sanded in the direct of the score marks with 500 grit SP then light brown acrylic paint applied with a paper towel.

Once again, It's good to be building again. Will return to the Connie project at some point.
View attachment 195310View attachment 195311View attachment 195312
this looks like a nice one on the smaller size that avoids a lot of complexities and may progress at a satisfying rate. I get a bit impatient with more complex builds where every plank becomes a project within itself and must fit well with what was before and the next adjacent one to come. . . . visually very slow rewards.. Have a great time with your Skipjack. RIch (PT-2)

View attachment 195310View attachment 195311View attachment 195312
Nice work on the deck. That’s an interesting technique you used. Why acrylic and not stain? Curious

Thanks Epicdoom,
I recently decided to change the deck color to light mahogany although the stain inadvertently brought the basswood grain through botching the scale effect a bid. It will do for this quick build. This weekend working keel and batten chines and moving on to planking the haul.

Test pieces are very important. Sometimes jumping in and committing to a color scheme isn't a good thing. Better said, "NEVER a good thing". Below is a piece of scrap I played around with scribing and staining until I found the desired affect. Not my usual rush, rush approachSkipjack 4.jpg. "maybe I'm finally learning something"!

I see what you mean by the grain coming through. I don't know how much of a test would have prevented that. There's really only about 5 bits all along the port side that the grain is prominent. I don't see any of that in your test piece. I think the overall look is still very nice. I really like this colour you're chosen.

Chris,
Minimal grain issue and will go with it. Thanks for feedback!

The next set of photos show my attempt at simulating mortals in the forward cabin. There are a few Skipjack day cruise websites with plenty of reference pictures that show usage of forward cabin for leisure vice dredge fishing, which the Skipjack was designed for originally. I'm opting for accommodations.
Photo 1 and 2: Test piece shown with portal installed. No more than your local craft shop jewelry section which I still have some apprehension of being seen by a fellow leatherneck! LOL
I use a brass tube, sharpened at one end to cut the hole and this plastic for the window glass. The look is acceptable and gives appearance to scale. The cabin side frames with be white.
Photo 3: view of hull side plank and bottom plank sections installed.

Once again, the Midwest Kit is a great place to start for first time builders.
Take care all!
Skipjack 4.jpegSkipjack 5.jpegSkipjack 6.jpeg

Chris,
Minimal grain issue and will go with it. Thanks for feedback!

The next set of photos show my attempt at simulating mortals in the forward cabin. There are a few Skipjack day cruise websites with plenty of reference pictures that show usage of forward cabin for leisure vice dredge fishing, which the Skipjack was designed for originally. I'm opting for accommodations.
Photo 1 and 2: Test piece shown with portal installed. No more than your local craft shop jewelry section which I still have some apprehension of being seen by a fellow leatherneck! LOL
I use a brass tube, sharpened at one end to cut the hole and this plastic for the window glass. The look is acceptable and gives appearance to scale. The cabin side frames with be white.
Photo 3: view of hull side plank and bottom plank sections installed.

Once again, the Midwest Kit is a great place to start for first time builders.
Take care all!
View attachment 196883View attachment 196884View attachment 196885
that is a sharp looking little boat. Is the sail leg'o mutton or gaff? It would have been a fun craft to sail. NIce work improvising portals. Rich (PT-2)

It’s LOM. No yard arm/square sails. I’m a novice when it come to sailing but anything that floats or fly’s has fascinated me since I was young.
Portals complete on forward cabin. I thought about cutting out the deck under the cabin and makeshift a modest interior. But, will try to keep this short build simple. We shall see, still undecided.

Attachments

• 817096EE-45E3-4828-A486-6D0AE7123F50.jpeg
    817096EE-45E3-4828-A486-6D0AE7123F50.jpeg
    138.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 446717E2-0CEF-4AFA-96DD-87FBC94AED13.jpeg
    446717E2-0CEF-4AFA-96DD-87FBC94AED13.jpeg
    198 KB · Views: 11
It’s LOM. No yard arm/square sails. I’m a novice when it come to sailing but anything that floats or fly’s has fascinated me since I was young.
Portals complete on forward cabin. I thought about cutting out the deck under the cabin and makeshift a modest interior. But, will try to keep this short build simple. We shall see, still undecided.
Your mention of floating and flying is exactly what is involved in sailing. . . balancing the driving/lift forces of the cambered sail with those hydrodynamic forces of the hull and center board assisted by the same from the tiller. Air and water must combine and match for sailing on any point of wind. Have fun with the Skipjack. . . maybe a 1:1 will give you that opportunity. Rich (PT-2)

Yes, I'm aware of the fact. Have always wanted to sail to some extent. I have flown RC for a couple of good years but found building the most enjoyable. I built to aircraft from plans and both flew nicely. A kit is one thing but to build from scraft is very satisifying!

Yes, I'm aware of the fact. Have always wanted to sail to some extent. I have flown RC for a couple of good years but found building the most enjoyable. I built to aircraft from plans and both flew nicely. A kit is one thing but to build from scraft is very satisifying!
I have two RC sail planes that I used to fly 40 years ago, an Olympic trainer type and a Todi which was much more sophisticated. Unfortunately, with time and changes batteries became unavailable and I was no long flying, (launching with long surgical tubing) them. Still hung on the den wall though with 8-ft wingspans.
Did you scratch build from your own designs? Rich (PT-2)

Back on the build again with the holidays giving me some free time.
1609261069689.png
Hull and deck. No major surprises given it's a very simple kit.
1609261250196.png
When I opened this photo I notice how awful the sanding and painting effort truly was..... We'll clean up during touch up.
1609261448569.png
I made the pully from a bamboo chop stick I found in the shop scrap wood pile. Always keeping something that can be used for modeling!
1609261593446.png
Chopstick, Top Center
1609261687085.png
Last photo of piece parts under construction. I'm learning the importance of following directions and reading steps if there are any doubts. Usually not my style, "Just wing it". SOS Staff and Members, "Thank you for all the inputs and keeping the hobby going!". Hope you enjoy the post.

The difference on deck is "wear patterns" not blotches in finish, that what I tell folks.

I have same kit, follow directions and it's a easy and simple build.

I got stuck on trying to perfect hull painting and then in house move. Hope to get back to mine soon.

The difference on deck is "wear patterns" not blotches in finish, that what I tell folks.

I have same kit, follow directions and it's a easy and simple build.

I got stuck on trying to perfect hull painting and then in house move. Hope to get back to mine soon.
There is and always be a difference between typical viewing distance and a macrocloeup in what can be seen. Wood grain affects a lot of this so I do what I can and accept what I cannot. Just a thought. Rich

There is and always be a difference between typical viewing distance and a macro closeup in what can be seen. Wood grain affects a lot of this so I do what I can and accept what I cannot. Just a thought. Rich
Rich that sounds a lot like old country saying about accepting your in-laws, "accept those I can and hope I bury the bodies well enough for those I can't!"

Back