Build log: U.S.S. monitor, Blue Jacket ship Models, 1:16

It’s been about three years since I built my last ship model as I’ve been busy with CNC & 3D printing projects. Wanted to get back to model ship building so I thought I would resume with something less intensive than my last build. I think I tipped the scale a little too far with this kit as I probably spent more time making the pedestal than the model itself. Absolutely no offense to the kit it’s just I didn’t do my due diligence when selecting what to build.

This will probably the shortest build log ever posted.......

Took a .010” skim cut on bottom of hull to verify surface was flat

01_Bottom Skim.jpg

.015” cut off top prior to “Scribing" of deck.
02_Top Skim.jpg

30 degree .005" flat tip engraving tool to scribe the deck
03_Deck scribe.jpg
04_Scribed deck.jpg

Sanded and primed the hull with grey filling automotive primer then wet sanded with 320 grit. Saw a couple of spots that needed a small amount of spot filler. I use 3M brand green glazing putty. Re-sanded, primed and sanded hull again in preparation for painting

05_Primed hull.jpg

Oops, had to fill, sand and re-prime the hull
06_Oops!!.png

Made pedestal from Walnut and cut rope border, edge treatment and engraving on my CNC.
07_Pedestal.jpg

Above the waterline painted with True North brand flat black & below waterline painted with True North’s anti-foul red. Propeller is Krylon Antique Bronze. Masking done with 3M Fine line tape which leaves no bleed through and removes w/o lifting any paint.

Coated entire model with Kyrlon Acrylic Matte finish.
08_Finished.jpg

Oops, looks like my cannons are spiked as I forgot to drill out the barrels.

Anyhow, I've got another model coming which should be a little more challenging then this one was. It is the speel-jaght from KolderStock Models.

The Speeljaght is a great addition to your catalogue and a great model to build. The shell-first construction is authentic and will provide you with some challenges of its own. When finished though, it makes for a beautiful model!

Back