Build Log: USS Constitution - Billing Boats 1:100

I am interesting to see the Billing Boats Constitution kit build - Many thanks for starting this building log

A bit more work done, false deck in. One thing about this kit, yer gonna need to keep some SHARP Exacto blades to remove the the parts from the sheets they are laser burned on it can be frustrating to "crush" a part when trying to cut it free.

20200912_150255.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Deck planking in..that was a hoot! Chainboards in as well, prolly should have waited to paint them. One thing, so far, has me confused about the gallery roof; it is labeled as part #224, but I do not see it included in the kit, it is called "balsa" in the TO&E of the kit. I have to assume I need to find a block elsewhere and fashion it per spec. I may just use some left over deck planking, as the photos I have seen of the restoration on the museums' site looks like car decking that they used.20200919_195811-3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Day Folks, I joined this august body a good way through the Enterprise, and after reading about the US Navy founding, decided to try building her squadron mate...
Hallo @Bhill
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
Are you still working on your Conny

Thanks for the birthday wishes Master Chief! Indeed I am STILL working on the Billing Boats Connie. It has been a rather trying year, much more for many I fear; I had an issue with a memory card in my camera, and lost quite a few pictures, I am currently working on the standing rigging and attending to some "issues" with this kit. To be frank, I am rather disappointed with the quality of this kit, both from the materials, and glaring historical issues, but one gets what they pay for and the price differential of this kit vs the Model Expo, et. al. version must be rather telling. I have attached a few quick pictures I just took as I am waiting for the main and mizzen chains to dry. If you do plan to purchase this kit there are some items one needs to be aware of:

1) Supply your own chains, as the instructions have you use cordage.
2) The long guns protrude way too far from the gun deck.
3) No stunsail rigging.
4) The whole bowsprit...you will have to do a bit of research to get the rigging sorted.
5) The Fore stays.....more research....20211031_104146.jpg20211031_104334.jpg

Again, I understand one gets what they pay for, so just beware.

Cheers!

I've been looking for a vise like the one you're using. Mind me asking where you got it?

Charles
Amazon....

Bessey - BESSEY BV-VB BVVB Vacuum Base Vise,Silver​

$33.28

I have a lager piece of Plexiglas under it to give more stability.

That was the reason for the plexiglass plate. wipe both surfaces with isopropal alcohol to get a clean seal. The suction / attachment has lasts me about a month between reseating, as no vacuum is perfect. Be mindful that you can still tip the whole thing over if you heel it too far over.

Back