Build of a wooden ship.

Just found this, it shows a time of craftsmen building a huge wooden ship.

WOW - this is a very interesting film about the ship construction -

wooden keel, framing, planking caulking deck everything shown in very good details

It is the Shipbuilding & Engineering Company's ship G.C. Amdrup which was launched in 1942, named after Georg Carl Amdrup,
Vice Admiral Sir Georg Carl Amdrup (November 19, 1866 in Copenhagen, Denmark – January 15, 1947 in Copenhagen), RN was a Danish naval officer, Vice Admiral and Greenland researcher.

Reportage fra bygningen af Grønlands Styrelses sidste danske egetræsskib, G.C. Amdrup. Stabelafløbning på Frederikssund Skibsværft. 2. del: Prøvesejlads i de grønlandske farvande.

Attachments

• Amdrup.pdf
    237 KB · Views: 45
I found this also

Screenshot 2024-05-23 125822.png

The G C Amdrup was built by Frederikssund Skibsværft in 1947 for The Royal Greenland Trading Company.
She was 46x11,60x7,40/5,20 and had a Grt of 908 and a cargo hold of 795 Cubic Meters.
She had 2 diesel engines of 285 BHP/240KW and a electric propulsion motor.
She did Carrie passengers and cargo between Copenhagen and Greenland.
On the 17/7-1951 there occurred an crankcase explosion which set the ship on fire this happened at the Oksø LightHouse SE of Kristiansand Norway.
There where no casualties but the ship sank.

She's an astonishing contrast to the Kaskelot, built only a year later and for a similar purpose. GC Amdrup a modern motorship and Kaskelot a sailing auxiliary and, happily, still earning her keep in a different way

Last edited:
The heroes of this time - working hard for their money - I am pretty sure all of them specilists in wooden ship building

Værftet blev købt af Helsingør Skibsværft i 1943. Taget i forbindelse med byggeriet af grønlandsskibet "G. C. Amdrup", der blev det største træskib, der var bygget i Danmark siden Fregatten Jylland. Stabelafløbnngen fandt sted den 16. april 1947.
Registreringen indeholder kopi med navne på mange af personerne.

Screenshot 2024-05-23 130339.png

Screenshot 2024-05-23 130452.png

She's an astonishing contrast to the Kaskelot, built only a year later and for a similar purpose. GC Amdrup a modern motorship and Kaskelot a sailing auxiliary and, happily, still earning her keep in a different way

The same construction like shown in the film

The Kaskelot - somehow a sistership, build from the same shipwrights only one year later - is now called Le Français

Screenshot 2024-05-23 135042.png

Excellent video, I've enjoyed every minute of it. Thanks for sharing, mon ami! They keep their tools sharp, look how sharp was the chisels to cut the excess of the treenail plug.

A fantastic 18 minutes, thanks for posting the video Stephan. I really enjoyed seeing key parts of the construction come together, it was very educational. Those guys were amazing craftsmen.

If you have Facebook you can go to this page below. There are a lot of pictures and movies to watch about how historical shipbuilding was done. This is a maritieme museum with woodworkers, ropemakers, sailmakers and blacksmith.

Back