Building Ships

Do you mean "models" in scale 1:1 ?
not off to a great start with my first thread.:eek:

not models, but a propper ship builder, that actually builds ships for a living or perhaps as a pastime. either on their own or as part of a number of other like-minded people or friends.

How do you define "ship builder"? :)
perhaps i should have included 'boat builder', or covered both by indicating 'vessels'.

Boat builders (smaller vessels): would work on all aspects of building new, or restoration of, vessels - from the design, hull, deck, cabins, painting, engines, etc.

Ship builder (larger vessels): I guess would be more likely to be part of a larger workforce, building or restoring much larger vessels.

so i think you get the drift (no pun intended) but aren't boats and ships the same thing anyway?

so i guess i should've covered all bases and asked;-

"i was wondering if there are actual Ship or Boat builders that are atcually in the trade, either on their own or as part of a larger workorce that build vessels as either a hobby, project or as their trade? :)

i'm genuinely interested and curious to know.

As I know personally Ivan he was working as a blacksmith in a shipyard before his retirement.
Since years he is one of the world´s best carver - take a look at his museum with all his models

Hello Uwek,

Thanks for posting a link to Ivan's work. This is the first time seeing his work. It is the most beautiful work I have ever seen. The ultimate combination of art and craftsmanship I have ever seen.

Thanks,
Bill

ICHCH BIN SSCHIFF-SCHMIED
i had to put that one in the translater - it come out as ''I AM A SHIP-BLACKERS" but i got the gist. Blacksmiths, very hard workers. i love watching them 'do their thing' whatever they do, horse shoes, swords etc.

just had a look at your Venetian Gondola Funerale, WOW! are you kidding me. now that's what i call a ship builder, scale of course. the carving is absolutely exquisite. it is beautiful. just WOW! and no plans, just photos and docs. wonderful.

As I know personally Ivan he was working as a blacksmith in a shipyard before his retirement.
Since years he is one of the world´s best carver - take a look at his museum with all his models

refer my reply to Ivan above.

i just had a look at both links you gave me Uwek. what can i say (refer above). this is some of the best carving work i have ever seen in my life and i've been around for quite a while. it is mind-blowing.WOW again. ThumbsupThumbsupThumbsup

I will admit to dabbling in building of small, but 1:1 scale, boats. Examples include:
  • Arctic Tern Hi, stitch-and-glue kayak. Built from a kit by Pygmy Boats (no photo)
  • Chip, a one-person, stitch-and-glue sailing craft. Built from plans of "Tuckahoe Ten" by Thomas Firth Jones in his book "Low-Resistance Boats."
  • Vorpal, stitch-and-glue pulling boat. Built from plans of "Robote" by Jim Michalak.
  • Rosebud, stitch-and-glue mini Auray punt. Built for my grand niece from plans on Hanna's Boatyard website.
  • Ravenswood, skin-on-frame kayak. Built to design by S. Jeff Horton of Kudzu Craft.
  • Spars, centerboard, rudder, and miscellaneous bits of Hannah, a Sea Bright skiff. Fiberglass hull was built by Gene Zymanski from plans by John Gardner in his book "Building Classic Small Craft."
You have to love boats, no matter their size!

chip08.jpgvorpal11.JPGrosebud.jpgraven12.jpghannah11.jpg

I will admit to dabbling in building of small, but 1:1 scale, boats. Examples include:
  • Arctic Tern Hi, stitch-and-glue kayak. Built from a kit by Pygmy Boats (no photo)
  • Chip, a one-person, stitch-and-glue sailing craft. Built from plans of "Tuckahoe Ten" by Thomas Firth Jones in his book "Low-Resistance Boats."
  • Vorpal, stitch-and-glue pulling boat. Built from plans of "Robote" by Jim Michalak.
  • Rosebud, stitch-and-glue mini Auray punt. Built for my grand niece from plans on Hanna's Boatyard website.
  • Ravenswood, skin-on-frame kayak. Built to design by S. Jeff Horton of Kudzu Craft.
  • Spars, centerboard, rudder, and miscellaneous bits of Hannah, a Sea Bright skiff. Fiberglass hull was built by Gene Zymanski from plans by John Gardner in his book "Building Classic Small Craft."
You have to love boats, no matter their size!

View attachment 426320View attachment 426321View attachment 426322View attachment 426323View attachment 426324
That girl's little pink boat is awesome!

a bit more than a "dabble". lovely stuff AndyA. does the pink boat mentioned above have a 'type' name? it looks so unusual. it looks similar to something i saw once on a doco about Wales. i forget what it was called but i'm sure it was very similar.

of-course i like them all but the kayak grabs me. did you build them in your backyard or at a boat shed or elsewhere?

a bit more than a "dabble". lovely stuff AndyA. does the pink boat mentioned above have a 'type' name? it looks so unusual. it looks similar to something i saw once on a doco about Wales. i forget what it was called but i'm sure it was very similar.

of-course i like them all but the kayak grabs me. did you build them in your backyard or at a boat shed or elsewhere?
Thank you for the kind words. Rosebud, as my grand niece named her, is an Auray punt. I first ran across mention of such a craft in Phil Bolger's book Boats with an Open Mind. Bolger's design is of plywood 9'9" X 4'2". He credits the English yachtsman and writer Claud Worth with observing the type in 1912 and describing and sketching the boat in Yacht Cruising. Auray is the name of a river and a town in Brittany. Rosebud was built from plans found on Hannu's Boatyard (hvartial.kapsi.fi). In post #13, I mistakenly called her a mini Auray punt. Hannu did design a mini, but Rosebud is a micro (7'2" X 3'3").

The skin-on-frame kayak gets more sea time than any other boat, largely because at 33 pounds it is very easy to get onto the roof of the car and into the water. Jeff Horton, the designer, calls it a fuselage frame boat, which means it has natural wood longitudinal members lashed to plywood frames (see pic below). The "skin" in this case is dacron. Most of the boatbuilding happened in my basement, which has a set of stairs and a hatch leading to the backyard.

ravenswood.jpg

no worries mate.

building boats in a basement aye :cool: (with a hatch no less-escape hatch?:D). it looks great mate, as do all the others you have shown here.

how many boats would you say you have built during your life? do you actually use them all and/or keep them stored somewhere, or sell them? if not, you should. big buck$

sorry for so many questions but one won't learn unless questions are asked.

keep 'em coming.

edit: i just google-searched 'Auray punt' and your pic came up first page, or at least a similar one but it had the same (hvartial.kapsi.fi). checked it out and i can see the plans you used. wonderful.

Last edited:
Back