Byrnes Jim Saw on eBay…

To answer the doubters, no, you don't need a Byrnes table saw to build ship models and for slightly less money other relatively adequate 3" or 4" table saws are available on the market, but there are a lot of things a Jim Saw will do with far greater repeatable accuracy to tolerances to thousandths of an inch than any other table saw on the market and with far more power than any similarly sized saw on the market. (There's a world of difference between cutting basswood and balsa and cutting boxwood, hard maple, ebony, holly and other fine-grained hardwoods.) If one has need for such a machine in a production environment, it's a bargain at the retail prices charged. $4,250 on the used market is certainly a record from what I've ever seen, and, because it seems nobody knows when or if production will start back up on Byrnes Model Machines, used examples have been selling for more than retail for some time now. Perhaps the purchaser required one for his business and getting one now at that price made perfect sense to them. Those of us who were thought crazy to "blow" a grand on the "Byrnes Trifecta," the table saw, thickness sander, and disk sander back when the three could be had for that now seem to have made quite a good investment. If anybody still thinks this price is insane, let's just watch and see how many are offered for sale on eBay hereafter. You'd expect when word gets out about this purchase price, people who have them sitting on a shelf unused for years might be inspired to similarly list them. However, from all indications up to now, guys that have them aren't turning loose of them until they're pried from their stiff dead hands.

On the other hand, at about the same time, a "stripped down basic" Jim Saw sold on eBay for $99. 50 ! As much a steal as the other was a bonanza! See: https://www.ebay.com/itm/3754555843...w6RE15yGlhpu4umnyAMX4FlQ==|tkp:Bk9SR4yQhdeOZA

If anybody has any inside information on why production hasn't resumed yet after Jim's sad passing nine months ago, or, better yet, when it's going to start back up, let everybody know. There's a big line of customers waiting outside Byrnes' factory door as I hear it.

Last edited:
Good comments, Bob. I was one of those that had been watching this auction/bidding from day one when the seller placed it on eBay and was biding my time in jumping into the fray. Truth be told, I was prepared this morning in the last hours of the bidding timeframe to place a bid in the $1400-$1600 range. But it appeared that 2-3 bidders got crazy... they had a whole bunch of disposable income that they apparently did not want to blow up in fireworks purchases... and really bumped up the prices, going back and forth, in what I thought was a bit unrealistic, but... it all comes down to what a person is willing to pay. So, that's where it ended up!

I'll continue to keep an eye out for one! I spoke with Donna back in December, and got the impression then that they would plan to get production back up again. But I have not reached back out and will wait in line outside the factory like everyone else. Pay no attention to me if I try to sneak up closer to the front of the line, though... OH LOOK! A FLYING ELEPHANT!!!

Unfortunately, that notice (or a version of it) has been there for months... I have spoken with Donna several times and she is just the sweetest...
I wasn't aware of that Paul. Nevertheless, if that notice has been posted for months and not taken out, that "could meant" that the intention to continue making the tools is still over the table. Let's hope for that.

Back