CA Glue

CA glue is not usually part of my ship modeling program for several reasons; I am allergic to the stuff and I am concerned with its longevity. I have, however, found an application with some tiny scratch made fittings where using it may be my only choice.

My question: what will CA glue NOT stick to? I am going to nudge some tiny pieces together and need to know what sort of tool to use or what to coat it with.

Roger

I place tiny pieces I intend to stick together, whether CA or Wood glue on a small piece of wax paper as parts are easy to get off when the glue dries. I use small tweezers to move or hold the parts together, making sure I don't touch the CA glue with the tweezers.

what will CA glue NOT stick to?
At all? I am guessing you know about the many items that are somewhat resistant to silicone such as Teflon and Delrin. When you apply CA on Delrin, it will not give it an instant bond but instead forms a shell that is easy to remove. Maybe try spraying silicone on the tweezers. The problem with silicone spray is that it can contaminate the air, so it is best not to apply it in the shop. Learned this the hard way with about 500 gallons of nail polish that we filled into the little bottles and found out later they were ruined by the silicone. We were trying silicone as a mold release for a new lipstick formula. It not only left little fisheyes on the lipstick, it got in the air and we found out later during some QA tests the nail polish left fish eyes on the surface when applied.
Allan

At all? I am guessing you know about the many items that are somewhat resistant to silicone such as Teflon and Delrin. When you apply CA on Delrin, it will not give it an instant bond but instead forms a shell that is easy to remove. Maybe try spraying silicone on the tweezers. The problem with silicone spray is that it can contaminate the air, so it is best not to apply it in the shop. Learned this the hard way with about 500 gallons of nail polish that we filled into the little bottles and found out later they were ruined by the silicone. We were trying silicone as a mold release for a new lipstick formula. It not only left little fisheyes on the lipstick, it got in the air and we found out later during some QA tests the nail polish left fish eyes on the surface when applied.
Allan
Fisheye AKA pinholing is such a problem in vehicle re-finishing - silicones are commonly used in car waxes - that you can buy special additives to prevent it.

Back