Caf Models, anyone have any?

Hi guys,

Waiting for the wifey to come home last night I was scrolling through Ebay and found a CAF Models 1/150th Nina kit. Of course I jumped on it at $22.00 buy it now.
So, Im just wondering if I should expect a small but decent kit or another junker? I see CAF is a site supporter which reassured me but I personally have no experience
with their products. Thoughts? Opinions? Sharp stick in the eye?

Thanks,
Clair

I've not done a CAF model yet, but at 1/150 for the Nina, which was 70 feet long, the model will be less than 6 inches in length.
That fact alone in a kit, I would bet that it's not going to be amazing. Although, I have seen some folks do some pretty impressing scratch additions on kits, and at least one guy in here does better a job on tiny-tiny scale models (Clipper ships that fit in the palm of your hand) than what I've done with 1:50-1:60 scale.
I'm sure we'd love to see what comes in the box, as well as build-log from you. For that price, just make the most of it, and know that help from the group is always just a post away.

Well you guys will definately be seeing what comes in the box, it's just coming from St. Louis so it shouldn't take long to get here. I have been pondering doing some "in the box" reviews of kits I have been hoarding for years.... I just need to dig those out lol

Clair

I have seen a cheap and nasty version of CAF models HMS Bellona for sale on eBay. Its not the real deal though, just a cheap copy.

Thats kind of what Im expecting Brian, but finger and toes are crossed. I was needing something smaller to start on and it grabbed my eye. See the
area in the basement that was going to be my hobby room is now my youngest daughters bedroom. That Corona really messed things up as Im sure you are
aware. Until she's back on her feet and moves out I'm going to be trying to build something on a table on our back deck.. LOL

Clair

Any thoughts on CFModel?
Here is what I will say about CFModel based on research I have done.

- CFModel is not CAF
- There is no model CAF sells for only $22
- AliExpress, the Amazon of Asia, has stopped selling CFModel kits
- If you look CLOSELY at the pictures of CFModels in their ads you can clearly see the models are not very detailed and the quality of the parts appear rather rough
- There are no POSITIVE reviews I can find on AliExpress or elsewhere regarding CFModel

My guess is CFModel is a low quality model company aimed towards children and not serious hobbyists.

My opinion. Hope this helps with future buying decisions.

Ebay is really great for two types of buyers.....
1) Someone who knows and understands exactly what they are looking at AND what they want.
2) Someone who knows nothing and doesn’t realize it, or doesn’t care.
For the rest of us..... We had best be VERY careful.!! Ebay can be very useful, but “caveat emptor” — “Let the buyer beware..”

Ask me how I know...Cautious

Well gents, the kit just arrived. I'm about to unbox and take photos of it. Should I continue with the photos in this thread or open a new one in the reviews section?
Open a new thread please in the Kit review topic

Back