Calking. Thought some of you might like to see this video.

That was very informative. They did not mention any tar or did they?
The thing I like about this site is the history of ship building. Who and how people came up with this idea of even engineering such a large ship that would endure a journey in to the unknown. To travel across vast expanses of sea took some very brave people.
And the rigging must have been trial and error. Can you imagine what these sailors saw on their journey. The vast amounts of whales and feeding schools of fish being encircled by larger predatory fish and birds must have been awe inspiring.

Just my thoughts

I wished to see also younger people helping and doing the same job with these nice old guys around this historical dock and learning caulking.Unfortunately the younger generation is mostly not interested in such things and some old handcraft jobs do no not exist anymore.The tools used are looking nice.
Thanks Corsair for this informative video

very interesting to see this work once in real - many thanks for sharing with us

I wished to see also younger people helping and doing the same job with these nice old guys around this historical dock and learning caulking.Unfortunately the younger generation is mostly not interested in such things and some old handcraft jobs do no not exist anymore.The tools used are looking nice.
Thanks Corsair for this informative video
I think that the younger people don't get interested in older things until they start to get older. Then in many cases, the older people that did the things they are interested are no longer alive. I think this is one of the tricks that life pulls on humanity.

About caulking… I once owned a fairly large wood sailboat. Did a lot of replanking(luckily it was in Panama and I had a good oldtimer shipwright. I spent a lot of time watching him work. The words he used for things seemed wrong to me.later I found out that they were used one hundred or more years ago. You can destroy a boat by caulking too tight. I read that wood boats always leak for a while after relaunching. I bet 100$ to jim that it would leak. I lost , but considered it a bargain

Back