Can you identify these?

Allen, they are both about the same size. One is in the water, and the other is up some on the beach. One has the smaller hoop flipped inside the larger one and the one in the water has the smaller hoop flipped up. They are both from a shipwreck off shore.

Allen, they are both about the same size. One is in the water, and the other is up some on the beach. One has the smaller hoop flipped inside the larger one and the one in the water has the smaller hoop flipped up. They are both from a shipwreck off shore.
Any reports of what ships had sunk over the years in that area of the ocean? Might help give a clue to size and type ship and rigging used.

CZ Have you contacted and sent photos to the curators at Preble Hall in Annapolis or RMG in Greenwich? If it is part of a ship, they may very well have answers for you. They have always been very helpful to me in the past although RMG sometimes takes a little while to respond as they are sometimes understaffed.
Allan

Some iron band around the mast top, with a fixed deadeye, like a mast cap...
but definitely it is looking like a stirrup of a saddle - do you have big horses around there?

Last edited:
Any reports of what ships had sunk over the years in that area of the ocean? Might help give a clue to size and type ship and rigging used.
Yes, many ships have sunk on that coast of Cozumel, from the early 1600s onward. I am working on a book about the shipwrecks of Cozumel right now. So far, I have over fifty reports of wrecks that are documented in some form or another, and around forty shipwreck sites that have been found. Only one has been identified so far. There are three wreck sites close to where the two pieces in the photographs were found. One has 18 cannons, four anchors and coins dated 1759. Another site has several cannons and an anchor with a coin dated 1742. Another has barshot, cannon balls, crude lead ingots, and a couple of cannons. If these two pieces were attached to a mast or spar, they could have floated along the coast for miles before landing on the beach, so they might not belong to any of those three wrecks.

CZ Have you contacted and sent photos to the curators at Preble Hall in Annapolis or RMG in Greenwich? If it is part of a ship, they may very well have answers for you. They have always been very helpful to me in the past although RMG sometimes takes a little while to respond as they are sometimes understaffed.
Allan
Good suggestion. I will do that.

That looks like a very good candidate, but since there were two found very close to each other, it seems weird to have two similar pieces of two masts so close together (assuming there was only one of these per mast).
Usually these masts had two caps per mast - so what was found is maybe from one mast

Screenshot 2024-07-18 152800.png

And one is slightly smaller than the other! I think you hit the nail on the head, Uwe. One mast, two mast caps, an upper and a lower. Thanks!

Hi Velachero

On an English ship these would be called 'span-shackles', and were fixed with long iron bolts that went down through the forecastle, and were fastened through the upper deck beam below. I have never seen them with a curved part, though, only straight-sided.

Back