Canadian Great Lakes Steamer of 1884

I just wanted to share a couple of photos of a Great Lakes / Welland Canal propeller steamship of 1884. This is a scratch built and self designed model of the ship "Sir S L Tilley", a composite built (iron frame, oak planked) ship built in the Shickluna Shipyard in St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada on the banks of the second Welland Canal. Scale is 1:100. As an aside, there has been a summer archaeological dig going on there since 2019, interrupted by the Covid19 pandemic. The photos are very much just snapshots. I'll take and post some better ones.

20220826_130323.jpg

20220826_130314.jpg

20220826_130307.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh and here is a photo of the actual ship in rhe Soo locks in the configuration in which modeled her. She originally was built with passenger cabins along the whole upper deck, later reduced to what you see here. Package freight on the main deck and bulk cargo in the lower hold. She later caught fire and was rebuilt as the bulk freighter "Advance" with the package freight capacity removed, and slightly lengthened if the records are accurate.

Tilley at Soo_220829_075208.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
a very interesting model - I am looking forward to see the details - many thanks for sharing with us

I just wanted to share a couple of photos of a Great Lakes / Welland Canal propeller steamship of 1884. This is a scratch built and self designed model of the ship "Sir S L Tilley", a composite built (iron frame, oak planked) ship built in the Shickluna Shipyard in St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada on the banks of the second Welland Canal. Scale is 1:100. As an aside, there has been a summer archaeological dig going on there since 2019, interrupted by the Covid19 pandemic. The photos are very much just snapshots. I'll take and post some better ones.
Hallo @Tangopapa
belayed we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back