Cane toad leather for modelling.

ADC

For anyone interested in using real leather to use in models as applicable should check out tanned cane toad leather. Quite cheap, beautiful and very thin at 0.04mm thickness and scales down nicely. It is patterned on top but the belly skin is quite smooth. Great for furnishings, rudder assemblies and anywhere else where leather is required. Cane toads are a huge pest in Australia and are harvested for their skins.

Last edited:
I bought some cane toad leather samples from Bookbindings Australia. I would have to say they look great. Thickness varies, some are as thin as printer paper and very tough with lovely patina and colour. They have all the qualities of normal leather but very thin.The smaller darker brown ones are the thinnest and most flexible. The outer leather is the best for modelling. I would suggest to buy the smaller sizes. These will be great for model furnishings which are awkward to get the right look with other materials. Price was reasonable and shipping fast. Highly recommended.2F17ED85-8DFF-4847-BEA5-656AB9FB558D.jpeg

Last edited:
Someone found a USE for cane toads? I'm stunned.
hahaha! Me too Darivs. Around here we stick 'em with frog spears and put them in a dumpster. They have poison pouches on their back near the head and will kill even a large dog pretty fast. We have lots of dogs around our place so we kill the little buggers whenever we find them.

Back