Cannon elevation wedge handle?

I'm stuck trying to come up with an appropriate size handle for this elevation wedge (quoin). The wedge is tiny at 2mm x 3mm & I wanted to use a belaying pin for the handle but the one shown is 10mm long-way to big. I see belaying pins for sale as small as 6mm. Does anyone know if a 6mm pin would be small enough for this wedge? Any other ideas on what I could use for the handle or should I just skip it?IMG_7655.jpg

Thank you & I appreciate your response but to me it looks like a 9mm pin is still too big. I'll go ahead & order a pack of 20-6mm pins & see how they look.
A standard pin is also an option of course.
Before further working on those tiny little parts i treat them with 1 or 2 drops CA glue to increase the strength of the wood.
My choice would be a circular head for the handle similar the cannonbarrels end.

IMG_5883.jpeg

The head of the belaying pin shortened and drilled with a 0.5 mm drill,you can also directly glue the shortened belaying pin to the handle without putting a wire into it.
At the moment i am preparing the gun set for my La Couronne and after seeing your thread i also decided to add a wedge .The attachment is the cannonset which i put on the Dolphyn model i allready finished (without quoin).

IMG_5888.jpeg

IMG_4075.jpeg

The head of the belaying pin shortened and drilled with a 0.5 mm drill,you can also directly glue the shortened belaying pin to the handle without putting a wire into it.
At the moment i am preparing the gun set for my La Couronne and after seeing your thread i also decided to add a wedge .The attachment is the cannonset which i put on the Dolphyn model i allready finished (without quoin).

View attachment 436414

View attachment 436415
Thanks for the detailed explanation. I'm going to try drilling a hole in the wedge & attaching the 6mm pin that I ordered-not received yet.
Your cannon & ropes are very detailed & look fantastic. What scale are you working with? I'm building Occre's La Candelaria at 1/85 scale.

The yarns i am using are from Modelbau Takelgarn-Germany.They use long fiber and a tight twist , therefore less pilling and so a smooth surface.The very upper yarn (attach.)is from Corel kit .The yarns from Modelbau do not nred to be waxed.For the shrouds i use coated yarn from the same company(attach.)
Hint:If you use Polyester based yarn from this firm you have to glue the cutting edges before cutting,otherwisi it spilits out immediately so you have unintended yarn material loss.
The scale i am working now is 1:100 La Couronne from Corel

IMG_5890.jpeg

IMG_5889.jpeg

Thanks for information.
The yarns i am using are from Modelbau Takelgarn-Germany.They use long fiber and a tight twist , therefore less pilling and so a smooth surface.The very upper yarn (attach.)is from Corel kit .The yarns from Modelbau do not nred to be waxed.For the shrouds i use coated yarn from the same company(attach.)
Hint:If you use Polyester based yarn from this firm you have to glue the cutting edges before cutting,otherwisi it spilits out immediately so you have unintended yarn material loss.
The scale i am working now is 1:100 La Couronne from Corel

View attachment 436425

View attachment 436426
Thanks for the information. I'm going to be using a poly/cotton blend rope from Syren Ship Model Co. here in the USA.

I'm stuck trying to come up with an appropriate size handle for this elevation wedge (quoin). The wedge is tiny at 2mm x 3mm & I wanted to use a belaying pin for the handle but the one shown is 10mm long-way to big. I see belaying pins for sale as small as 6mm. Does anyone know if a 6mm pin would be small enough for this wedge? Any other ideas on what I could use for the handle or should I just skip it?View attachment 436050
Hi,
For a handles that small I would use brass belaying pins. They can be as small as 7mm x 1mm, cut to length and painted you wouldn't know the difference. Check out Dry-Dock Models and Parts to see what's available.

Barnacle Bill

I'm stuck trying to come up with an appropriate size handle for this elevation wedge (quoin). The wedge is tiny at 2mm x 3mm & I wanted to use a belaying pin for the handle but the one shown is 10mm long-way to big. I see belaying pins for sale as small as 6mm. Does anyone know if a 6mm pin would be small enough for this wedge? Any other ideas on what I could use for the handle or should I just skip it?View attachment 436050

Seing the size of the first picture: a small piece of Wire with a drop of white glue in the end. If the drop gets to small on the drying, just a second one and then some paint. That is the way I did my belaying pins in 1:100 :)

Victory bits 210316_6993.jpg

FYI the wedge with the hande is called a "quoin". It's not a wedge however as only the top is tapered. Sits on the gun carriage stool. With all of that said I made one on AUTOCAD and created an .stl 3d file. Once the file wa created you can make as many as you like in and reasonable size.

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. I ordered some 6mm wood pins & I'll see if they work. If their still too big I'll order some brass pins.

Alan, can you 3d print?
No but I find very interesting. Along with building a ship I"m also a model railroader & a wildlife/landscape/night photographer which takes up a lot of my time,especially in the coming months. I've seen what others can create with 3D printing which is amazing but I just don't have the time for another interest. Thanks....Al.

Back