CANOE by Uwe - european version in pear

Uwek

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Moderator

Here will be the building log of my Canoe.
I ordered two sets of the pear timber kit of the slightly shorter european version from Sergey alias @bibigon,
who is so kind to make a special price for the members of the Canoe group build here on SOS.
Would be great if somebody else from Europe or other parts of the world would jump in.
As soon I have my timber in hand I will start the work.....

That is great Uwe.
I will sure join you in building one myself using pear wood. I actually can't wait for this opportunity.
Order placed today with Sergey.
G.

Good to know, how much extra did the pear wood cost?

Will be nice to see how your pear wood build varies from the US wood kits.
You will be surprised, but the pear version from bibigon is not more expensive, for me even cheaper due to less postage costs.
I payed for two sets in pear appr 87 Euros incl Paypal costs and shipping to Austria, this is appr. 100 US$ all included. I am not expecting any custom duties here in Austria

But take also a look at Gilles post summarizing the information.

So it can be also for others outside of Europe very interesting if you want to try a Canoe in pear wood !!!!

I'll see if I can order a pearwood package as well, from Sergey. I've never used pear but it seems to be liked by everyone that has tried it.

EJ

Can you find out a rough cost for Pear wood from bibigon aka Sergey.
To get a chance to try Pear would be nice
Kurt

The pear wood package from Sergey works out to approximately 50 euros (including shipping) as explained here:
You will also note that because of the size of lumber shipped by Sergey, the size of the model is slightly smaller.
There is also a substitute for basswood for the molds, he will send you 3 mm (about 1/8") plywood.
G.

Good news!
I got the information by Sergey today, that he was able to finalize my two sets of pear timber today and that they will be send tomorrow - very fast - so let us see how long the postage will take

The timber was send by Sergey very fast, but had to stay in russian quarantine for 2 weeks.
Just got the info by tracking, that the parcel arrived in Austria. Without the Pandemie it would be only 1 week between order and arrival - Many thanks to @bibigon
ay.JPG

It’s like the old saying “ A watched pot won’t boil”

The more you want it now, the longer it takes!

But if you had no urgent need it would arrive quicker than thought!

I am still waiting for game strategy guide ordered a week ago to arrive!

The timber was send by Sergey very fast, but had to stay in russian quarantine for 2 weeks.
Just got the info by tracking, that the parcel arrived in Austria. Without the Pandemie it would be only 1 week between order and arrival - Many thanks to @bibigon
View attachment 164930
JA Ja - parcel arrived in Austria means nothing -> it is now since more than one week now here in the country and laying around at the customs office until they check it
xyy.JPG
and these people are public servants and have a lot of time......also calling the post was not helping - they say, that they have no influence how long it will take - so still waiting.....

JA Ja - parcel arrived in Austria means nothing -> it is now since more than one week now here in the country and laying around at the customs office until they check it

and these people are public servants and have a lot of time......also calling the post was not helping - they say, that they have no influence how long it will take - so still waiting.....

Well... Uwek, at least you know where your package is.!! My package was mailed by Sergey on the 27th of June. It is now the 24th of July (4 weeks...) and it is STILL in Russia....SOMEWHERE..!!!
AlienSleep

Hey UWEK...
Have you received your package of pear wood yet.???
OR...still in Austrian "jail".??
Seems, that the custom office here in Austria has collapsed - still in the jail-store-house ..... step by step I am getting angry, due to the fact, that the wood is now already more than four weeks in Austria ........

Last edited:
Same here. Placed order June 24, Order shipped June 25, Arrived Moscow Post office June 25, Thru Russian facility June 29, Passed thru Chicago International Sorting Center (ISC) July 27. Geeze, Chicago is only 1 hour and 45 Min from me.

That said, I waited 7 1/2 weeks to get a meter of twisted stainless steel wire from BNA Model World in Australia that usually takes about 10 days.

I must be getting CLOSE as 7 1/2 weeks is TODAY.

EJ

Actually, it's a combination of Post Office and Customs. The Postal system ISC (International Sorting System) checks all incoming packages from foreign countries, some countries in particular. They are located in a few major port cities, New York, Chicago, etc. Since 911, there are quite a few countries that were added to the list. They scan, x-ray, whatever looking for dangerous or contraband items. They are now quarantining packages from certain countries because of the covid thing. THEN, they go to Customs. That's a separate deal. There, they can actually open packages to see what is in it, looking for whatever it is they are supposed to look for. They have no schedule or mandate to move parcels through in the order they arrived or anything else. Meanwhile, the package is now outside the postal system and is no longer being scanned into the tracking system. Finally, if and when Customs releases it, it will go to a Postal unit where, in the process it will be scanned again and you will once again see the tracking from then on. This info I got from a friend that worked for the Postal service and also in a Postal International Sorting Center.

Makes you wonder how anything that was made somewhere else and was shipped here, ever got to market.

EJ

Last edited:
Back